"Just speak as we have practiced, I know that you look lovely, m'lady," Lucien adds.

"Are you worried, Brother?" Niklaus questions.

"We are placing our lives in the hands of a stranger, Niklaus," Elijah responds dryly as Lucien bows before Count Martel.

"Lucien," the count calls out, "You were sent to fetch the Count de Guise." he deducts.

"Indisposed, your grace... gout. May I present his children, the lord's Finn, Niklaus, Elijah, and Kol. Also the lovely ladies Rebekah and Elena." Lucien finishes as Count Martel raises himself out of his beautifully designed seat.

"Your father never mentioned you to me in all our dealings." Count Martel stated as the siblings looked at each other in silent panic.

"Yes, your grace. Do forgive us, our father was always distant with his travels and we were largely raised by servants. However, I do know that Father would consider it a glorious honor that we should be introduced into society by your noble hand, your grace." Elijah explains with a bow.

"Your grace, I look forward to hearing of your hunting escapades. May I present our sisters." Niklaus adds.

Elena takes the lead as Rebekah follows behind.

"It is an honor to meet you, your grace. I am Elena de Guise de france." Elena says with a deep curtsy, mindful of how Count Martel's eyes follow her bust, before stepping back into place.

"Rebekah de Guise de France." Rebekah introduced herself with a deep curtsy, just as Lucien instructed, "Charmed." she added.

Whatever they had done must've been enough to convince Count Martel because he dismissed them with a satisfied look in his eyes.

***

Elena stands off to the side watching as Niklaus and Lucien converse with each other, unbeknownst to her listening into their conversation. Lucien's words about greater evils in the world struck a chord within her. A flicker of hope danced in the recesses of her troubled mind. To hear of beings more monstrous than her family offered a peculiar comfort. It was a distraction, a momentary respite from the constant battle within herself.

As Lucien spoke, Elena's fists clenched involuntarily, her nails biting into her palms. She winced but welcomed the physical pain; it was a tangible distraction from the emotional agony. She couldn't let the vulnerability show, not now. Mikael's voice echoed in her mind, reminding her of the consequences of weakness.

Her thoughts, however, betrayed the composed exterior. The memories of Marcus, Henrik, and the countless other victims she killed, the weight of their deaths, bore heavily on her conscience. A tear slid down her cheek, and she swiftly wiped it away. She couldn't afford to break down now, not in front of her family, not in front of herself, and certainly not in front of these strangers.

Her internal struggle played out in the clenching of her jaw and the tightening of her shoulders. The smile she plastered on her face, artificial and strained, masked the storm raging within. Finn's perception of her as a monster echoed in her mind, but she dared not let it dictate her actions.

The conflict between the ruthless persona she believed she needed to adopt and her genuine, kind-hearted nature gnawed at her insides. Elena fought to suppress the turmoil, pushing it deeper into the recesses of her being. She listened intently to Lucien's words, desperately seeking the distraction they provided.

At that moment, as she strained to focus on the conversation, Elena's heart battled against the monster she believed she had to be. The struggle was silent, hidden behind a facade of strength, but the weight of it all threatened to crush her. Deep down, the kind-hearted and loving Elena wrestled against the notion of becoming the very monster she feared but knew she had to be. Especially now that Mikael had made it his sworn duty to kill them.

Elena was drawn back to the conversation at the change of topic, the count's children, the moment they entered the room people turned to look and by the sounds of it, Klaus was enthralled by the girl, Aurora de Martel. Elena quickly tore her attention from her brother's conversation, no need to hear Niklaus fawn over another girl.

Hadn't he learned his lesson from Tatia?

As Elena went to go to her room that Lucien had shown them after meeting Count Martel, someone caught her arm. 

Author's Note: Hey everyone, I honestly wasn't sure if I was going to continue writing this as it's been a long time but I decided I want to see this story to the end! I'm excited to see where I take this story and I hope you all will continue reading this story! I'm going to try to update more often for you all, I hope you enjoy this chapter! :)