Original Chapter 32

On a Road Bound to Nowhere
Part 10

Cut because Girl never makes it back to the Church

"Where are our people?!"

"Please, I don't have anything to do with this!" Gabriel whimpered, backing himself into a wall.

"Why'd you bring us here?" Rick shouted.

"Please, I-"

"You working with someone?"

"I'm alone. I'm alone. I was always alone," Gabriel looked away, staring at the floor.

"What about the woman in the food bank, Gabriel? What did you do to her?" Rick accused.

"'You'll burn for this', That was for you. Why? What are you gonna burn for, Gabriel? What? What did you do? What did you do?!" Rick shouted, shoving Gabriel harder against the wall.

"I lock the doors at night," Gabriel whimpered, "I always lock the doors at night. I always lock the doors at night. I always-"

Gabriel broke down in tears, covering his face with his hands.

"They started coming, my congregation. Atlanta was bombed the night before and they were scared. They were- they were looking for a safe place, a place where they felt safe. And it was so early. It was so early. And the doors were still locked. You see- it was my choice. There were so many of them and they were trying to pry the shutters and banging on the sidings, screaming at me. And so the dead came for them. Women- children. Entire families calling my name as they were torn apart, begging me for mercy," Gabriel broke down again, unable to stop himself from stumbling.

"They were begging me for mercy. Damning me to hell. I buried their bones. I buried it all. The Lord sent you here to finally punish me. I'm damned. I was damned before. I always lock the doors. I always lock the doors!"

BANG!

Gabriel sobbed, falling to the ground. Something had slammed against the doors of the church, heads spun to look at the source of the noise.

"Punish me! You've been sent to punish me! Kill me lord! Strike me down for my sins!"

Carl and Glenn had run to the doors, Carl had his gun held at the ready while Glenn yanked the door open.

"Girl!" Carl shouted, holstering his gun and hurrying over to her.

Girl was laying in front of the door, she was exhausted from running, trying to keep herself conscious long enough to warn everyone. She had to make sure that they knew about the group from Terminus. If they weren't ready, they could be killed. And while Girl didn't mind if she died today, she was a bit more hesitant knowing that her friends could die.

"Girl? Are you okay? What happened?" Carl asked, leaning over her in panic.

T-E-R-M-I-N-U-S

"Ter-minus? Terminus!" Carl shouted, "she said Terminus!"

B-O-B

"And Bob!"

People coming, Girl signed.

"There's people coming!" Carl shouted.

"C'mon, Carl, we gotta get her inside," Rick said, he and Glenn lifting Girl up and bringing her into the church. Carl shoved the doors closed behind them, running over to where Girl was laid down on the floor.

"Hey, hey, Girl, come on, stay awake," Glenn said, leaning over her and trying to get a good look at the wounds she'd sustained.

"What happened to you? Where are you hurt?" Rick asked.