It's taken the threat of another man coming into my life for Case to decide he wants to fight for me. He never considered that an option when he was seduced by a beautiful woman.

"Give me one reason why I shouldn't kill you," Sire seethes. He's warning Case to get out of here while he can, although I don't think my boyfriend has ever been very perceptive.

Case takes a step closer. "You wouldn't."

"Wrong answer," Sire mutters.

In a movement so fast I almost don't detect it, Sire grabs the side of Case's head and slams it into the doorframe.

"Sire!" I yell, watching as Case's body slumps, falling to the floor with a sickening thud.

"Much better," Sire muses, brushing his hands together.

Stooping down, I grab Case's shoulder, twisting him over. The impact was strong, although he doesn't seem to be bleeding too heavily.

"Did you kill him?" I'm horrified as I tightly clutch Case, wishing he would gasp awake with nothing more than a little headache.

I never expected Sire to lash out like that...

"I'm sure he will wake up." He nudges Case with his foot, no trace of remorse seen anywhere on his face.

"You can't do that!" I snap angrily, scrambling to my feet. I'm going to need to get help, but first, I need to get rid of Sire. He doesn't understand why this is wrong, which has made me furious beyond belief.

"I don't appreciate someone trying to make a claim to you, when you are my mate." He frowns, looking down at Case's unconscious form as if he is imaging hitting him all over again. "Beside, from what I can tell, he deserved it."

A couple months ago I would have agreed. Case does deserve some payback for what he did to me.

But Sire shouldn't be the one to dish it out.

"If this is going to work, you cannot hurt people," I tell him, trying to keep my voice calm, although it's impossible to keep my voice from shaking with frustration.

He looks genuinely confused. "But he deserves it. And he's not even dead."

A press my palm against my face, exhaling slowly. "This can't happen again."

His eyes search my face, his confusion melting away. I can see him fighting with who he was before he was cursed. He's not used to being condemned by anyone, but he's faced with me now, I'm not going to let him get away with anything.

"Alright," he concedes, stepping back.

I sweep my hands through my hair, looking down at Case. Thankfully I can see the slow rise and fall of his chest. He's alive. That's all that matters.

"When will I make a term for this relationship?" Sire asks. It's the first hint of playfulness I've detected from him so far.

"Well...I freed you from your curse. You owe me," I remind him pointedly.

"Fair enough."

"Give me a day, at least, then we can talk again." A day would give me a chance to make sure Case is okay. If he wakes up, I'll explain who Sire is. Despite everything, I don't think he deserves to be lied to about my mate.

Sire frowns. "A day?"

"Yes. You go and meditate or whatever it is you do...just don't go anywhere, or hurt anyone," I instruct.

I can just envisage him going around trying to find the Alpha of this Pack. There is a lot of history he has to acknowledge, but this world isn't meant for him anymore. He doesn't rule, people don't respect him, or even know who he is.