Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

The butterfly gave the spider a big hug. "You've helped me so many times...I'm glad that I could finally help you tonight. Everyone likes you, now."

Fang hugged back. "I...I'm glad I was there for you, Daisy. I feel like a new spider."

Daisy laughed. Then they realized how long they were standing there hugging and slowly let one another go. "I'll see you around, wolf spider."

"I'll see you around too, little butterfly..." Fang replied softly.

They stared a little longer before Daisy took off into the sky after the other butterflies. After they were some distance out, she cast a look behind her. The insects of Ridpath were all waving and shouting their farewells. Sage was standing on Morales' shoulders, much to the protest of said cricket, and Dr. Musca threw confetti alongside Periwinkle.

Fang just stood there, gazing up into the sky. A painful lump formed in his throat, and he could hold back the tears no longer. "Bye, Daisy..." he whispered. With a groan, the spider turned around and strolled into Ridpath's bar area.

Daisy, although she didn't see or hear it, stopped in her tracks. "No..." she said, determined. "No." She whirled around and flew quickly back to the town. She had to know...Fang had to know, too. No more pretending her feelings away. She understood, at last, what she felt for the spider that had sacrificed so much for her.

                         **********

Although the crowd was pretty confused about Daisy's immediate return, they didn't question it. Or at least, she didn't slow down to talk to anyone. The butterfly looked in each and every building for Fang until she finally reached the bar.

The spider wasn't too hard to find. He was sitting on a stool up front, sipping away at some cocktail the bartender had given him. Daisy was startled to hear him whimpering and crying. She had never heard him cry before. A few of her own tears poured out.

"She's so far from me now," Fang was saying to himself. "But it was wrong of me to think I could keep her here. Like I owned her. But I don't. I want only the best for her. I want her to be happy and free, and...live the best life she possibly can. And...forget about an awful creature like me." He lifted the cocktail and drank it all in one gulp.

"Fang?" Daisy asked.

Fang whirled in her direction. "Daisy?!" he gasped, bewildered. "W...what are you doing here?"

Everyone in the bar turned to watch the butterfly approach the spider.

"Fang, I need to know something..." she said. "Did you mean what you said when you told Rogue that you loved me with all your strength? Is...is it true?"