Chapter 17: The Witching Hour Part 1

Start from the beginning

Aunt Hilda stood frozen, while staring blinkingly at her now empty raised hand.

Cordelia addressed her aunt. "Like I said, no recognition." she then stood up from her chair and kissed her aunt's cheek. "I'm off to work."

"Aww, I still need to get used to that." her aunt gushed. "Our own little Professor." the woman continued while squeezing her cheeks.

"Aunt Hilda..." Cordelia muffled, while her brother chuckled. "I'm going to be late."

"Oh, alright. Enjoy the day, Delia flower. Don't work too hard."

The young witch nodded in response, and left, but not without slapping her brother on the side of the head for laughing.

In her last class of the day, after her students were dismissed, she started to pack up her belongings, closing it,one of her student's came to view.

"Klaus, you're still here." she said, gently. The boy was Asian descent and was struggling a bit in Potions class, but he had a sweet demeanor and seemed determined.

"Yes, Professor Spellman. I'm sorry if I'm..."

"Don't apologize" she immediately told him with a smile. "How can I help?"

"Oh, great thank you... Uhm. I've been struggling a bit with the class, you've probably noticed, and I just wanted some tips or advice on how I can maybe improve."

"Alright... First of all. You're a first year, so don't be too hard on yourself. The fact that you coming to me is already a step in the right direction. Second, can I ask you an odd question?"

The young warlock nodded eagerly.

"Do you know anything about cooking or baking food?"

Klaus chuckled embarrassingly, "Not particularly, but I sometimes help my mum in the kitchen, when dad's not there of course..."

Cordelia nodded in understanding.

"So, when you're helping your mom. You sometimes work with spices and sugar, and other ingredients, right?"

"Right..."

"There's a science when it comes to baking. When you don't do a specific step, no matter how small, it can ruin the whole outcome."

"But then there's normal cooking like, making a stew. Then you follow the ingredients and steps, but sometimes you follow your gut, and you add a little something extra to make it special or unique. Like maybe an cayenne pepper or..."

"Paprika.." Klaus added in, excitedly, making Cordelia smile brightly and nod.

"Exactly. So, potion making has the same principle, just a bit more dangerous consequences." she winced, as she ended off.

"Okay, I kind of get it" he nodded. "I think I sometimes I just overthink everything, but thank you for the advice Professor." he said as he headed for the door. "Hope you enjoy the rest of your day.

"It's a pleasure, Klaus. You too." she responded, getting a warm feeling inside from helping a student, she didn't think it would come so easily.

Just as she walked out of the Academy doors a chilled wind crept through her. As everything around her seemed to go dark, and then suddenly everthing lit up again.

Turning, she frowned and let out a breath she didn't know she was holding.

"Delia!"

Cordelia turned at the sound of her Aunt Zelda's voice. The older witch approached her hastily.