06 | just like a movie

thankfully, kunhang doesn't call him exceptionally early (well, his version of exceptionally early is like nine am, but still) or incredibly late at night. yangyang is sat on his bed, looking back over a couple of the polaroids as he eats a bowl of fried rice.

he notices that xiaojun almost always has a guitar on him, and is frequently pictured sat next to the vinyl player. he also realises that some of the photos must have been taken at the local record store (surprisingly, yangyang has seen that it's still in business), as they are photos of the random pairings of the boys from behind, searching through rows and rows of vinyls. there are a couple fun shots, where the boys hold up funny or strange covers, but a series of 5 stick out in particular.

they begin with kunhang (dressed more typical sixties - he's wearing a loose button down with an even looser, wide orange tie) and xiaojun (still wearing that loud floral shirt, just with a denim jacket over top) sifting through a couple stacks of records. the third photo shows xiaojun pulling one out of the pile, while the other boy laughs. the fourth shows him holding it up and laughing. the photo is slightly blurry - maybe donghyuck or mark were laughing when they took the photo.

the record cover reads 'stanley black and his orchestra ‎– melodies of love', and shows a man and a woman kissing. yangyang has no idea who this guy is, nor what the album sounds like. but it gives him a hint, because kunhang and xiaojun disappear behind the large cover in the fifth photo, imitating the pose the man and woman are in during their kiss. for some reason, it makes him feel a bit uncomfortable, despite everyone else in the photo finding it hilarious.

he is kind of thankful to have something to make him look away from the photos. his eyes are starting to hurt.

"hi." he says plainly, and kunhang groans.

"what happened this time? you didn't drop lunch again did you?" he says, and yangyang smiles.

"no. nothing's happened. just tired." he replies, and he can imagine kunhang rolling his eyes (he's started doing that more and more).

"stop lying. anyway, there was a lunar eclipse last night. well, nearly." kunhang says excitedly. yangyang is glad that kunhang ignores his very obvious lie.

"my dad got me a telescope the other day. seems like he's making up for something. but it was really nice to see up close. must've been very expensive though." he continues, and yangyang falls into habit of zoning out and listening to him talk.

"have you ever seen an eclipse?" kunhang eventually asks. unfortunately, yangyang hasn't. fortunately, that means he gets to listen to kunhang explain it to him.

"there was one last night. absolutely gorgeous, yang. wish my camera could've picked it up so you could see." kunhang whispers, and the corners of yangyang's mouth pinch upwards into a wide smile.

"you thought of me?" he asks, a little too enthusiastic for his own liking. thankfully, kunhang doesn't comment on it.

"why wouldn't i? nobody else lets me ramble on about this space nonsense like you do." he replies quietly, and a soft pink blush creeps its way up yangyang's neck while his cheeks flame. they stay in comfortable silence as yangyang finishes his rice and kunhang presumably continues reading whatever stupid novel he is interested in this week (it's probably not stupid, yangyang just hates reading).

"how long have you and xiaojun known each other?" he decides to ask, setting his bowl aside and rolling onto his stomach.

"ah, we've been friends since we were in diapers. can't remember a time when we weren't friends. except from when i met donghyuck and he got super jealous of me having two friends." he says, voice trailing off into a laugh as he reminisces.