Chapter 25

--CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE--

            “Where exactly are we going?” Estrella mumbled irritably a few feet behind Ash.

            “I never asked you to come,” he growled at her.

            She huffed out a delicate little breath of air. “I’d still like to see the turn of events. I did set up this game.”

            Ash continued walking, not caring what she talking about. They’d been walking for days now, and Estrella had let on that nearly everything that had happened with the Hunter’s she’d befriended and he had been all her doing. Of course, she wouldn’t explain why or what on earth the goal was. By now he didn’t even give a damn.

            “You could at least tell me where you’re headed.”

            He glanced back at her. Her pale hair was stuck up in an old-fashioned looking bun, about five decades outdated. Golden curls spilled out of it, grazing her bare shoulders gently. She’d switched into a little black slip now. Some how she had managed to keep clothes with her. Maybe she had planed for this long trekking through the woods. Or maybe she just always kept clothes with her. Who knew?

            She had learned the tool of makeup since he’d last seen her too. Her blood red eyes were lined expertly with coal colored liner, and her eyelashes obviously had the help of lengthening and volumizing mascara. How everything about her stayed in place would forever be a mystery to him.

            She didn’t look much like the Estrella he had known, and it wasn’t just because of the wicked eyes. Something about her looked colder, cut off even. She looked capable of murdering a shelter filled with puppies and laughing with joy as she made a child watch.

            Of course, only about a month ago, Ash could have done exactly that. For god sake, he had killed Sage’s little brother and then thrown it back in her face. At the time he hadn’t exactly known who he was to her, but he was well aware that he was something special to the little dove that had tried so hard to fly away with the little boy.

            He just wanted the little dove to fly back. Naturally, he had killed all chances of her coming to him. She had fled back to the old church, it just so happened he had been passionately kissing another woman. Probably not what would make Sage come running back to him again.

            He almost expected her to run over there and pry them apart, then slap Estrella. She seemed like the type that would. Unfortunately, she probably couldn’t see straight through the blur of tears.

            He wished he could’ve changed so many things about that night. He wished Estrella wouldn’t have made an appearance. He wished Sage wouldn’t have showed up at that exact moment. He wished those stupid Hunter scum hadn’t charged in on their intimate moment. He wished Sage hadn’t gotten her memory back. He wished he could have explained everything before she remembered.

            “Oh!” Estrella chimed in behind him. He could hear the smirk in her voice. “I know exactly where we’re going.” Giggles peeled from her in an annoyingly high-pitched voice. “This ought to be… interesting….”