you ... honestly couldn't tell what this was supposed to be. it appeared like mulsh, a big slob of absolutely nothing. whereas, when zander would bring you food, he would bring you enjoyable food - like pita pockets. not whatever this was. 

  "apologies if the food is poor quality. we recently had an issue with funding, due to a personal matter of master's. may i ask you a few questions?" zandice asked, just doing his job. it was always their job to check on your vitals and ask you small questions about how you were doing, as well as your home life for some reason. 

  "go on," you sighed, looking down at the .. mess of food. you hesitantly used the clear plastic spork to take the mulsh up to your lips. you forced yourself to swallow the food quickly, so you wouldn't have to taste it. 

  "splendid. your mental status as of late, please." 

  "one out of ten." 

  "i see," he nodded, making notes on a slip of paper for dottore, "any pain in the body, unrelated to physical injuries? such as heart pain, shortness of breath, and any other health concerns?"

 you shook your head no.

 "i see. please rate the level of your comfort."

this was always a hard question for you. comfort of what? the fact that you were kidnapped from your family for some mad scientist with unclear goals? or was it the comfort of the care provided by zandice?

 "two." 

 "i apologize for that. may i view the wounds on your back, as well as check your pulse and heart rate?"

 there was no saying "no, i'm not comfortable" to these questions. he was only asking to be polite and you were more than aware. you sighed as you hunched your back, lifting up the shirt so he could see all the wounds on your back.

 "... healed, i see. now, for your pulse and heart rate." 

you kept your body still as he went about his business. though, after that he simply left with a small 'goodnight.' 

he left the tray of food in your room, alongside all the utensils on it. it's not like you could do much with them, besides maybe harming yourself with the knife. but that wasn't in your best interest. you had already tried that once, and it didn't go ... well for you to say the least.

dottore had noticed the sudden abundance of scars on your wrists, that time. and when he did ... good god. he was furious. he shouted such long strings of insults at you about how you were "ruining his experiments, his theories" by harming yourself. which, you could believe that. it tampered with his data, his so .. valuable data. and so, he sent you to the isolation room. 

the isolation room was a room inside the punishment chamber (a large room filled with other rooms,) which was similar to that of an asylum room. the walls were sound proof so that no-one could hear your screams or your begging, and you couldn't hear anyone. the entrance to the isolation room was a large padlocked door that seemed impossible to break free of, though so did every door in place. 

everything seemed impossible, just ... more so in that room. you could tell dottore didn't even care about how his punishments affected his data. he only cared about what you did to ruin it. if he had cared, maybe he would've noticed how your mental health plummeted during your stay in the isolation room. your mental health plummeting only made you more willing to do what he wished, so maybe he didn't care that you were left alone to your ... thoughts and memories in there. 

maybe that was the whole point. maybe that was his go to punishment with you, because he's aware you're a social creature. one that needs contact to survive mentally - no matter how much you denied it in the past, being locked in there crushed you. you were locked away to relive your past traumas over and over, with no food for the brain to sustain itself. 

dottore only ended letting you out after a few days, though it felt like eternity to you. you remember vividly about the wicked grin he had plastered all over his face as he saw you pleading for forgiveness. you had begged for him to forgive you. which he did ... for a price. 

just thinking about the price made you want to cry. you couldn't bare to be with the reoccurring memories of it, and so, you took out the book that zander had gifted you.

it was a long chapter book, of course. he wanted to give you something that would take you a while to finish - and while it did, at first, now you read past it in a breeze. you weren't given a pen, sadly. you would've loved to be able to annotate the book each time you read through it, to gain a new perspective about the contents. but you couldn't. 

while you began to read the pages, you started to hear it again. the screams of horror. you knew whom they were coming from, as you could tell by the high pitched screaming. it was that collei girl you remembered earlier today. 

she always screamed when it was her turn for her experiments. perhaps she was the youngest of all of the test subjects and that's why she did, but she was a screamer. 

  "...no! ...et go!" were the small sample of words you could hear through the loud screeching and hollering. that wasn't dottore's voice, it had to have been hers. 

 "...up. ... loud." was the other series of words you heard. now, this voice was dottore's. you could recognize his anger from just about anywhere. his voice would drop an octave as he yelled.

"...go! ...go!" collei screamed out.

you sighed as you shut the book you had read multiple times over. you would never be able to concentrate on reading with all of the loud yelling. 

 "...uch noise! ...der, subdue," was what you could hear from dottore's yelling. "der"? as in zander? is that where the caregiver you enjoyed was? 

you hated to admit it, even in your own thoughts, but you clung to that man. he's the only to truly treat you kindly in this shit show, so naturally you'd become attached to him. worst of all, you missed him. 

 "...please! st-" were the last sounds that you could hear.