Margaret

Margaret's POV

I dismounted Dartagnan as we made a complete stop by the stream. Untying some bags from the saddle, I quickly looked around before tying Dartagnan to a tree and walking home.

I ducked behind the curtain of vines to the cave, pulled out the small rock from the corner, and was about to push the door open when I heard Mary humming inside. I recognized the tune immediately as Mountain Ballad, a song she used to sing to me when I was younger and had a hard time sleeping. Listening to her hum it now almost felt surreal, like a memory from a dream. I leaned against the door and mouthed the lyrics to the part she was humming.

The heart will find
What it seeks behind
The tallest mountain
Only few dare climb

As if my body was reacting to the music, a yawn escaped my mouth. Not wanting to fall asleep against our door, I made unnecessary grunting noises as I pushed it open to warn Mary that I had returned.

"Hello, lovely!" I said, resting my bags against the side of the wall.

"Welcome back, Margaret" Mary bounced over to me and embraced me for a moment.

"Wait just a moment!" I spoke in a dramatic voice as she began to pull away. "I have been gone for close to two hours and one little squeeze is all I get?" She raised an eyebrow, looking quite amused with me. "I am hurt. Perhaps even a little insulted."

"Oh, shut it." Mary laughed and wrapped her arms around my shoulders, tighter this time. Her hugs were like a mother's hugs, gentle but secure. After a few more seconds, she pulled away again. "Did you notice that I cleaned?" She gestured to the room. The beds were straightened and the bookshelves and cabinets were dusted and organized.

"Yes, I did! But you hate cleaning." I picked up my bags and set them on the table.

"There was nothing better to do." Mary shrugged.

"In your mind, there is always something better to do." I began unpacking one bag and Mary began unpacking the next.

"Not this time. Leona hasn't brought me a book in weeks and she knows I go through them in a day. Though she is doing the best she can, and I can't attempt to expand on her generosity." At that point Mary seemed like she was talking to herself more than me, so I stayed quiet and let her continue to talk. "What more did you buy?" She asked once both bags were emptied.

"Come help me with the remaining bags and you'll see." I slowly backed toward the door, waiting for Mary's response.

"Of course I will." Mary chuckled and followed me out the door. "How was he?" She asked once we got closer to Dartagnan.

"Like a dream." I unhooked the last bag and handed it to Mary.

"Don't worry. Soon you will have your own horse, one that you have a special bond with."

"I know. I'm in no rush." I smiled and pointed at one of the bags Mary carried. "That one is feed for Dartagnan, so just hang it up on a tree near him so he can get to it when he's hungry."

"What about these other three bags of feed?" Mary held them up.

"We'll keep them in the house for now, and when he runs out we'll replace it." She nodded at my idea and started walking in the direction of home with me trailing close behind. My gaze lowered to her right hand, which had always been bare but now displayed a sapphire ring. Not wanting to shout ahead to her, I made a mental note to ask her when we got inside.