Chapter 1

The breeze tonight was cooler than usual. The young girl's body lay limp on the asphalt. Demekai found it hard to believe how easy it is to render someone unconscious. She certainly didn't look like a sinner, but this was the girl who was specifically requested, and who was he to question authority? "Alright," Kai sighed heavily throwing his victim's loose body over his shoulder.

Hopefully, his Master wasn't in such a terrible mood this evening. It was another mile or two until Kai would reach the woods. It was convenient that there happened to be a town right on the outskirts of their little forest. This made finding sinners just that much easier for the newborns, as Lowell had pointed out many a time.

Bystanders were staring as Kai carelessly strolled along the side of the road. Every time he passed under a streetlight the faint reflection of the large ring on his finger caught people's attention. An oddly dressed, tall, pale, seemingly deranged teenager casually walking down the street wouldn't have been that uncommon. What drew the attention of onlookers was the beautiful girl slung over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes and the eerie tune that he hummed.

A young couple abruptly stopped in their tracks to cross the street. Demekai let out a scoff. Amused at how nervous everyone was. "Like they even know what true uneasiness feels like," he thought. About ten minutes later he arrived at the edge of the trees.

Kai took a deep breath before continuing. It would take a normal human at least three hours to hike to their home. For a newborn like Kai, however, it took about nine minutes. His speed was still improving each and every day but the fastest he could go without causing damage was about sixty miles per hour. Demekai felt a twinge of anger as he remembered what Lowell had told him the day before. "I don't care how fast you are, it's pathetic how long it takes you to run ten miles." How did he expect him to run any faster? Lowell had more than 300 years on him.

Shaking his head, Kai took another deep breath and started running. He made special care so as to not cut the girl on any branches or thorns. Even slowing down a bit to tuck her body closer to his side. This was his least favorite part of the job, carrying the victims. Each one reminded him of what he had lost. Before Demekai could get to lost in his own thoughts, they reached a stone wall.

The faint sound of growling could be heard nearby. Kai cautiously tiptoed over the ivy and around to the entrance. An eight-foot-tall iron gate with the family crest connecting the two sides. Tall guards stood on each side, each with a wolf sitting beside them. Those were where the growls were coming from. Clearly, the wolves were unhappy, chained, and forced to do the vampire's bidding.

Kai strode forward confidently, flashing his ring at one of the guards. The man in the black robe nodded, reaching his arm back to unlock the gate. Once the gate fully swung open, Kai stepped onto the premises.

"Good evening Demek" a gentle voice uttered from behind him. "Hello Hazel" he replied, a smile forming on his face. Hazel never failed to make everyone feel better. A mysterious human girl that their Master kept as his little pet. No one in the manor knew her true age, only that she was young and beautiful. Poor naive Hazel. "I had the chefs prepare Onglet Steak" she replied, delicately latching onto his left arm. "I know it's your favorite!" Hazel continued beaming up at him. "Thank you," Demekai responded.

Together they continued up the steep horseshoe driveway. The whole way Hazel swung his arm back and forth, skipping to keep up with his long strides. She seemed seemingly oblivious to the unconscious body swinging from his right shoulder. After a quick casual conversation regarding their evening plans, the two reached the front door.

A short first chapter, 700 words.

Please vote and leave a comment if you enjoyed it! <3