Chapter 28: I Know Who I'd Choose

Beginne am Anfang

"I can't!" John B admitted.

"I'm very interested, actually," Kiara said, "Evelyn and I or her?"

"All of you," John B said.

Evelyn couldn't help but feel a sting in her chest. How could John B pick Sarah over her and Kie, he had just met the girl.

"Went for the Hail Mary," JJ said.

Kiara walked out of the door of the porch as Evelyn sighed. She tried to get up from JJ's lap, but his arm was still placed around her waist.

"E, come on," JJ tried.

"Let me go, JJ," Evelyn said pushing his arm away and standing up.

"Ev," John B said.

"Save it," Evelyn said turning to John B, "Funny how it's always Pogues for life and now you're choosing a Kook over two of your best friends."

Evelyn walked out of the door, following Kiara down to the dock. She walked over sitting next to the girl, hanging her feet over the side.

"It's gonna be all right," Evelyn said pulling her friend into a side hug.

"I hate John B right now," Kiara admitted.

"I know," Evelyn said pulling her friend closer as she cried.

Evelyn's phone rang, Topper's number popping up as she looked at it.

"Give me a sec," Evelyn said standing from her spot by Kiara.

"Hello," Evelyn asked answering the phone.

"Hey," Topper said.

"Hi," Evelyn replied.

"What are you doing right now?" Topper asked.

"I'm actually with Kie," Evelyn said.

"Oh well I was wondering if maybe you wanted to come over," Topper said, "Maybe have a movie night, like old times."

"Um--I don't know if I can," Evelyn said looking at Kiara, "She kinda needs me right now."

"Oh uh okay," Topper said, "Well I guess just text me if you change your mind. My mom and dad will be gone all night, so I'll just be here by myself."

"All right," Evelyn said, "I'll let you know."

"Bye," Topper said.

"Bye," Evelyn said hanging up the phone.

"Who was that?" Kiara asked.

"It was just Topper," Evelyn said.

"Topper?" Kiara asked, "Are you guys like friend now?"

"I honestly don't know," Evelyn admitted.

"You do realize that he's tried to kill two of our friend right? One of them twice," Kiara said.

"I know that," Evelyn said, "He just-- I went to his house the day that JJ got arrested. I yelled at him, slapped him, and told him how much of an asshole he was. He promised me that he would change, that he wanted to try and be friends again."

"And then he pushed John B out of the Hawks Nest..." Kiara said.

"I know. He came to my house that next day when I went home. He told me that he barley pushed John B and that he would never intentionally hurt him. Begged me for one more chance, told me he was actually going to change this time," Evelyn said.

"And you believed him?" Kiara asked.

"I don't know," Evelyn said, "I guess part of me wanted to believe him. But the other part of me just kept reminding me about how he ditched my freshman year."

Kiara reached out, grabbing her friends hand as Evelyn sighed.

"I guess the biggest part of me is just still holding on. I don't want to lose someone who use to be so close to me, even if he is an asshole. I want to believe that he will actually change," Evelyn said.

"You should go," Kiara said.

"What?" Evelyn asked.

"You should go," Kiara said, "Life's too short to hold back. Go see Topper."

"Kie, I don't want to leave you right now," Evelyn said.

"I'll be fine," Kiara said, "Trust me. Now go."

"You really are the best friend you know that," Evelyn said.

"You should tell John B that," Kiara joked.

Evelyn got up, walking back up to the house toward her car.

"Evelyn," JJ yelled ask she opened her car door, "Where are you going?"

"My parents want me home," Evelyn lied not wanting to tell JJ that she was going to meet Topper.

Something told her he wouldn't be as understanding as Kie when it came to that situation.

"You can't just leave," JJ said, "We all need to talk about this."

"What is there to talk about JJ?" Evelyn asked, "John B made his decision. Kiara is really upset about it."

"We have to do something," JJ said.

"John B is just going to have to choose," Evelyn said, "I personally don't have a problem with Sarah, but the fact that he couldn't even pick Kie and I over her really upsets me."

"You know he wont be able to choose," JJ said.

"And why not?" Evelyn asked crossing her arms.

"Because he's an idiot," JJ said walking up to the girl.

"Well I can't fix that," Evelyn said with a sigh, "I gotta get going. Call me when John B gets his head on straight."

JJ just shook his head and Evelyn got in her car rolling down all of her windows. He walked up the the girls car, placing his hands where the window had rolled down, "If it were me...I know who I'd choose."

Evelyn looked up at JJ who sent her a small smile before turning around and walking back inside.

Next chapter has some Topper action 😍😍
~A