4. Haunted

"There's somebody watching us through the window."

I freeze where I am, my body completely still as I don't say anything else. His gun is clutched in one of his hands, but his other hand remains unarmed, instead firm on my shoulder. He isn't moving either. This is bad.

"Listen to me." He begins slowly, his voice low "When I say so, you're gonna duck down, stay low and make your way to the bedroom to wake up Soap." He says, "Got it?"

I feel my blood rush as I look at him and nod quietly. He doesn't say anything else while I watch the faintest movement of his hand lift ever so carefully from my shoulder while his finger shifts to rest at the trigger of the gun stealthily. He tilts his head down, eyes relaxed and fixed onto mine as he nods slightly. I brace myself:

"Now."

Without second thought, I duck down and get on the ground, hearing the glass behind me shatter immediately as he begins shooting at the window and the rapid gunfire begins. I don't waste any time as I make my way over to the bedroom to find Johnny sitting up on the bed, his eyes wide with confusion and his hair slightly messy:

"The fuck!" He exclaims, as he gets off the bed and grabs his gun that was on the nightstand. He quickly comes over to me and crouches down with me, as he looks at me intently, "You alright? The fuck's goin' on?"

"Ghost caught someone watching us through the window and told me to come to y-"

I try to explain, when Ghost's voice suddenly interjects from the other room:

"Johnny watch out there's two-"

"FUCK!"

It wasn't intentional, what I did next. Tackling Soap down to the ground to guard him the second the next bullet was fired. Feeling his body beneath me, his large hands finding my sides as a weight dropped all across my back, causing a sharp feeling to shoot all throughout my entire body. Then almost instantly, torturous agony.

I took the fucking bullet.

A shattered pain pulses all throughout my body as I can't find the ability to scream. My body jolts and I collapse on top of him, the bullet in my back heating up at the apex of where it was buried in my flesh. I feel Soap scurry to get to his feet, cursing profusely as he helps me turn over flat on my stomach while he presses his cold palms against my wound that just barely missed my spine. He applies pressure as I hear him calling to his Lieutenant.

"We're clear!" I hear Ghost's voice sound from the other room as his heavy footsteps run toward us.

The gunfire had quieted, but my mind was racing with panic as I felt my adrenaline rush a million miles a minute. My body felt numb and almost inert. I couldn't feel anything but the pressure that Soap was applying to my wound to keep it from bleeding out. I struggled beneath him, feeling an uncontrollable urge to rip the bullet out of myself, as hot tears pricked at the corners of my eyes, and soft whimpers escaped my lips on their own.

"You're gonna be alright...I've got 'ya..." Soap says breathlessly, as he firmly keeps my wound from bleeding, "I've got 'ya..."

His voice is soft, gentle- unassumingly calm for someone in this trade, even more so with as thick of an accent as his. It works to relay my mind, if only for a split second, into forgetting what was actually happening.

"Fuck." The gruff British accent cuts in like a knife, as Ghost crouches down beside my body and begins rummaging through what sounds like some metal. I couldn't really see, as the bullet was stuck in my lower back, and my eyes were watering, glazed-wet while they remained fixed on the aged wooden floor panels.