Chloe jerked her arm towards him in the obvious gesture of "Come here." "Ethan!"

            And then a gun fired. Once. Twice.

            Jackson slammed into her from the side and pushed her onto the ground, swallowing her with his body. His hands covered her head, his body shielding her from the door. The glass from the front door burst into pieces. It rained down to the ground like wind chimes.

            The crowd panicked. People burst into motion. Running. Screaming. Ducking with their heads covered.

            "Ethan!" Chloe shrieked. She squirmed under Jackson, trying desperately to get out from under him.

            He held her tighter. "Stay down." He yelled near her ear. She could hear him breathing faster, his eyes darting around the scene.

            After the two shots, the gunfire stopped. It felt like forever shoved into a single moment. The second it seemed like it was over, Jackson got up and dragged her behind the cover of the wall near a trashcan.

            Chloe huddled into a ball, her knees tight to her chest. And waited.

            Jackson pulled out a sleek black gun from somewhere under his arm (Chloe heard him call it a glock once). His body remained mostly covered by the brick wall as he trained the gun through the shattered glass.

            "Sparks is secure. Commander, we need a better cover."

            Chloe's breath rushed out of her chest. Thank God.

            Jackson tapped his watch, "Wait for my signal, then bring him towards the entrance. There's a spot here."

            "Understood."

            Four agents, crouched low with Ethan in the middle, hustled him quick and smoothly through the entrance and over by Chloe.

            "Ethan." Chloe scrambled up, just as Ethan's arms came around her.

            "Thank God you're okay." His face buried into her neck.

            The watch at Jackson's wrist never stopped carrying voices. "Shots fired. Looks like minimal damage."

            "Troop Alpha has locked down the area. Shooter at large."

            "Shooter is running." A male voice said through short, labored breaths. "Heading towards the main street."

            "Cut him off. Do not let him get away." Jackson ordered into his wrist. Then he looked at the agents around them, "Move Sparks and Stardust into the green room. Lock the doors, cover the exits, and do not let anyone in or out until I tell you all is clear."

            Jackson focused on Chloe. "When this is over, you and I are going to have a long talk."

            She swallowed, her heart still half a mile up her throat, and nodded.

            Jackson groaned under his breath and reached over to give her a swift hug. "Love you, Lizzie."

            "Love you." She mumbled into his shoulder.

            Jackson pulled back and pointed a finger at Ethan. "Keep her close."

            Ethan's hand came up and Chloe watched with a bit of surprise as his flat palm sparked a couple of times. "Planned on it."