chapter iii. murmures du destin

Start from the beginning

"I'm not even surprised that you did it back when you were still an undergraduate," [name] said with a straight face.

The brown-haired woman chuckled and slid the book on the wooden table closer to [name]. "What I meant to convey is try bringing home this book and have a read. I'll give you a one day leave to do anything you like outside the headquarters."

The assistant librarian rapidly waved both of her hands. "I'd rather help with commissions at the adventurers guild than just relax. I don't need a day off as much as the other members do."

The witch sat back into a pillar and crossed her arms, saying, "Like I've said, do anything you like outside the headquarters. You've worked hard enough this month. Besides, Jean and I don't have that many duties to give you tomorrow. Run ahead now, darling," she continued, "I'll take care of the rest here in the library."

Instead of arguing back, [name] thanked Lisa and bid her goodnight. As she made her way out the door, she carried her belongings and the book that her boss had suggested. She waved at the knights stationed at the entrance and headed home.

In order to descend the lengthy stone staircase quickly, she skipped a few steps. Now that it was late in the evening, there were no other people nearby. In the distance, loud cheering and the clinking of glasses can be heard. The woman's stomach grumbled since she had skipped dinner. "Should I visit The Cat's Tail or Angel's Share?" [name] questioned whether it was appropriate for her to drink only tonight.

No, I mustn't! Tomorrow I need to unwind and not worry about a terrible hangover. I'll just eat something decent first thing in the morning.

She hurriedly searched her keys after arriving at her home and got ready to collapse on the bed. [name] was so startled by a sudden loud bark that her belongings fell off her arms. When the dog heard the metallic keys clanking loudly, it continued to bark.

[name] started looking for solutions right away to stop the dog from waking up the entire city. The barking dog fled from her area after a loud door slam was heard next to her house before she could even attempt to settle it down.

"I swear to the stars, what is that commotion?! I'm trying to develop my hydromancy!" A familiar female voice exclaimed annoyingly.

The librarian picked up everything that was lying on the ground and turned to face the source of the voice. Mona stood there scowling, trying to locate the noise that had distracted her. Their lips were agape when they locked gaze.

The first to speak was [name], who said, "Mona! I didn't know the laboratory you were going to stay in was just next door to my house."

"Neither did I know that you'd be my neighbor. Fate might've led us to be more than acquaintances after all," the astrologist spoke loud enough for [name] to hear. She carefully pulled the wooden door after banging it open since she doesn't want to pay more for the damage.

The other woman grinned. "We should have breakfast together the following morning before you complete your commissions at the guild," the librarian suggested as she put her keys in the lock and went inside. "Let's continue this tomorrow! Have a lovely night studying your hydromancy."

Mona smiled and returned her greeting. She was about to close the door when she caught herself berating herself for forgetting to thank her new neighbor once more. The astrologist yelled, "[n-name]!"

The said woman once more flung open her door so that she can see Mona. "Mona, is something wrong?"

"You have my gratitude for having me at Mondstadt today. Most of the places I went to ignored me, and this was the first I get to be accepted in. For the dinner you offered me, I'll make sure to give you something in return. That's all, Good night!" The hydro user shut her door, preventing [name] from replying.

The [hair color]-haired teen blinked in surprise as she was brushed by the wind. She entered the house in silence and walked right to her bedroom. As soon as she plopped down on the bed, she exhaled loudly. [name] smiled as she thought back on her eventful day and fell asleep.

Mona, meanwhile, managed to reduce her embarrassment by tidying up the mess that her research had left behind. When she was done rearranging, she projected what appeared to be [name]'s constellation into her scryglass since she was interested in learning more about the female.

Cygnus Astria, which is [name]'s constellation, stands for friendship and fidelity. Cygnus continued plunging into the river to look for his friend, Phaethon, after the latter was knocked from the sky by lightning and fell into it.

Mona made her scryglass vanish into the air, "What a great person! Maybe I can provide a few pieces of advice. I should, though, only bring up her constellation when she shows an interest."

The astrologer sat on her bed and peered out her window sill at the night sky. Staying at a new place for a while was too sudden for her. Being unable to foretell her own destiny, she wonders what awaits her in the near future.

note: I made Mona see the reader's constellation here in my book when she originally can't map out destinies of non-vision bearers in the game. The reader doesn't have a vision in this instance, and I'm doing it for the benefit of the plot. Thank you and see you in the next chapter~