Chapter 2

" Why the switch up?" I asked, keeping my eyes peeled for anything.

" No reason, why you got a problem with it??" Lopez said, shooting a look at me.

" No ma'am"

We sat in silence for a while before we were dispatched to a hit and run. As the day went on Lopez continued to shoot me looks the whole day. And at lunch I got a call from my aunt.

" Mind if I take this real quick? " I asked , a semi concerned look on my face I tried to hide with a straight face.

" Yea sure be quick" she said giving me a small nod, seeing right through my face.

" Thanks "

" Hey is everything ok?" I asked my aunt.

" Yea, we're all good Lucy" She responded.

Just then I heard a gun shot over the phone.

" Aunt Ruth, What was that? Aunt Ruth????" I said a loudly, the worry escaping from my voice. Lopez now looking over at me concerned.

" Please answer, please" I said under my breath.

She ended up hanging up, every possible thing that could have gone wrong going through my head.

" What's wrong?" Bradford asked concerned, running up to me.

" It's my aunt" I said, frantically looking around.

" Chen what happened with your aunt? Do we need to get a welfare check?

" Um yea no it's probably nothing" I responded, my eyes darting around.

" Ok, let's go check it out." Bradford said, quickly getting in the car and driving to where I told him to go.

Once we got there, I ran out of the shop and straight towards the door of the house, quickly opening the door and racing inside.

" HELLO, ANYBODY HOME??? " I yelled frantically looking around.

" Boot, what are you.." Bradford yelled before getting cut off by a voice.

" Mama "

I turned, seeing Myla in the doorway of the play room, Lena's head peaking out behind Myla.

" Hey honey, come here" I ran towards them, giving both of them the biggest hug ever, tears rolling down my face.

I stayed there for a bit, soaking in all the love that I have for my girls. Bradford coming inside now.

" Girls where is you auntie?? "

" The bad man took her mama" Lena said, tears starting to go down her face.

" Mama? " Bradford said quietly, but loud enough for me to hear. It startled me a bit.

" What bad man honey? " I asked, wiping away her tears and turning towards Lopez.

Bradford POV

" Control show us 10-6 personal"

I walked inside after looking around the house, hearing the voice of a child talking.

" Boot everything ok here?? " I said turning the corner.

As I looked over at her I saw tears streaming down her face, as well as on the two little girls faces. I heard one of them call her mama, which confused me for a second. Chen had children?

" Bradford " Chen said, standing up and walking towards me and keeping an eye on them.

"Chen can I have a word with you real quick?" I said a smile on my face and switching it as I talked to Chen.

" Yea, I'll be right back ok" Chen said, giving the girls a smile.

" Who are these two? Did you find your aunt?"

" She's missing, somebody took her, I know I need to keep focused, I just..." Chen said, tears running down her face.

I looked her straight in the face and tried to calm her down a bit, having her sit down and catch her breath.

" Control this is 7- Adam -7 we have a missing person" I said, turning back to where Chen was sitting with the girls.

" Mama sad?" One of them said, giving my hand a small tug.

" Hey, I'm officer Bradford, what's your name honey?" A smile on my face as a I got down to her level.

The little girl turned to Chen, waiting for something. Chen then gave her a small nod.

" I'm Lena, that's mama and Myla" she said, pointing at the other little girl and Chen.

" Nice to meet you Lena, and you two Myla. " I said giving them both a smile.

When I looked at Chen, she had one of the biggest smiles I have ever seen on her face in a while. I mouthed that I would keep her secret, and she mouthed back thank you before returning her attention to her children.

" Come on Chen, we have to get back to the station" I said, helping the girls outside and into the car as Chen followed with a few bags in her hands.

Once we got back to the station, I took the girls to one of the back rooms, giving them both some paper and crayons while Chen went and talked to Grey before coming back and hanging out with Myla and Lena.

" Thanks again for looking after them." Chen said before I left.

" Of course Chen"

I ended up bumping into Lopez and Harper.

" Hey Bradford, I heard about Chen's aunt. How is she doing?? " Harper asked.

" Oh yeah I think she's doing ok given the circumstances." I wasn't fully focused on them, still trying to comprehend the thought of Chen being a mother.

I ended up taking Chen and the girls back to their house after the detective's got everything that they needed for the missing persons report.

" Here I got it" I said running ahead and opening the front door when we got to the house.

" Thanks, you can come on inside if you want " Chen said, placing the bag down and waiting for me to answer.

" Thanks " I said accepting the offer.

Once Chen got the girls down for bed, she walked out and went over to the kitchen, tears streaming down her face. I ran over quickly, catching her and holding her tight.

" Shhh, it's ok Luce, I got you" I whispered, not realizing that I called her Luce instead of Chen or boot.

After about 15 minutes, me and Lucy were now sitting on the couch, her head resting on me as she drifted off to sleep.