ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 164

𝕽emus stared silently, the cup of hot chocolate grasped between his fingers tingling with warmth to his skin

He, James and Sirius had just received a message from Moody's patronus stating Peter had been sentenced to life in Azkaban in one of the highest, securest cells. The blue mist had soon disappeared, leaving the three to exhale sharply, differing emotions brimming their chests.

Peter Pettigrew, who had been their lifelong brother since they were just mere eleven years olds, had now been tried for his crimes for betraying them. Life sentence to Azkaban with only dementors and other criminal wizards at each side. The once meek, kind and caring boy they knew, a traitor.

Masses of guilt clawed at their chests, devouring them from within for a number of reasons. Had it been their fault like he had try to justify with? Had they practically handed him to the devil themselves? How had they not figured it out earlier? He had been appearing at odd times, missing gatherings, acting shifty and commenting un characteristic things for him, how had they not seen it when their families are at stake? If they had found out sooner, could they have saved him, helped him, found a way?

And then, they were also so fucking angry—

Remus knew it was futile. No matter how many different possibilities and different ending's their story could have had, the path had already been chosen and there's no good dwelling on it. Peter was a traitor, yes, but he still has James and Sirius for Marauders, fortune enough to have Regulus with little Harry now too. He has Willow and Maple to hold close and love like nothing else, Scarlette to adore as a sister, a wonderfully annoying sister at times.

There was the girls he has too, Marlene, Dorcas, Mary, Lily and Alice, he cares deeply for them also. His dad, Newt, Mcgonagall, Sprout, Madame Pomfrey—

Remus was most definitely not alone, he should be thankful he still has all of these warm hearted people around.

His gaze shifts towards James when he bounced his son on his lap, a weary expression across his face, confessing, "Dumbledore still wants us to hide under the fidelius charm until the war's over. He believes — he — will try to find us with or without Worm— Peter"

Sirius' darkened face falters into something much more sad and miserable, as though he's about to drop on his knees to beg that they don't hide or go away. Remus noticed, he noticed just as quick as it left his expression and consorted back into a frown. He focuses his eyes back on James, offering weakly,

"Whatever you and Reg decide is best for your family works with us, Prongs. We'll find ways around it"

James nods his head in appreciation, caressing the messy mop of black hair on his son's head when Sirius mumbles, "And what if he does find out where you are on Halloween somehow? You'll die supposedly. And what if Dumbledore's only just suggesting that because it keeps Him from taking over because he's distracted on being incessant to find you"