Chapter 4

Clutching the dusty book to my chest, I stood in the parking lot dumbfounded. I had no idea what was going on and so many questions were whirling around in my head. The one I saved long ago? Who was that? When did I save anyone or anything besides Clarity's place in the coffee line at a cafe when she needs to use the bathroom?

    "Aria! Sorry for making you wait," Clarity panted, bringing me out of my musings. "You know how far my Advanced Literature class is away from here."

    "Yes, I know," I replied absentmindedly.

    "Well, it's been a long day, and I call dibs on the bathtub as soon as we get home," Clarity scowled. "I need to chillax and I'm just really in a bad mood."

    "Why? What happened?" I asked. She seemed fine before classes.

    "Nothing, just that I saw some stupid b*tches flirting with Mr. Collins earlier," Clarity scrunched up her face as if she had eaten something sour. "Those sl*ts were totally molesting him! And he was flirting back! How can he ever like me when he likes skinny Barbies?!"

    Clarity broke out in sobs and I had to usher her into the passenger seat.

    "It's going to be okay, Clarity, just wait and see. Now give me your keys, I'll drive us home," I soothed. "Plus, we can have another girl's night if you want."

    Clarity didn't reply and the entire ride back was silent, the silence only broken by the beeping of cars and Clarity's sniffles and hiccups. As soon as we returned to the apartment, Clarity rushed to the bathroom and locked herself in it.

    "Just yell if you need anything!" I called out. "Anything at all! Like if you need your favorite ice cream or something!"

    I smiled, satisfied, when I heard a laugh from inside the bathroom.

    After finishing my last essay, I decided to take a look at the ancient book that Mr. Andrews gave me. I was hesitant to read the contents for I was afraid of what I would find, but I had questions that needed answering.

    Sucking in a deep breath, I opened the book to the first page. I had no idea what I was expecting, may be for the book to burst into flames or for a magical golden light to shine from the book with a bunch of singing from heavenly voices. What I wasn't expecting was for the book to be absolutely, completely blank. There was no mysterious writing or symbols.

    Confused, I closed the book and opened it again. Still nothing.

    "I knew that Mr. Andrews was crazy," I muttered. "There are no such things as creatures of the night and they sure as hell aren't after me."

    The clock continued ticking, and before I knew it, my digital clock read midnight.

    With a loud groan, I thumped onto the bed and winced. Clarity had gone to bed two hours ago after crying herself to sleep. I sighed and curled onto my side, still clutching the book and throwing the covers over me.

    The land around me was dark and terror was slowly consuming me. I felt skittish and ready to bolt at any moment. I felt like prey. Tendrils of shadow spun around me, slithering towards me and shooting away when I bat at them.

    A cry started up in the distance, yelps and shrieks became louder. Squinting my eyes, I could see that dark figures with red eyes clambering towards me. A shriek of terror escaped my lips and my heart began pumping rapidly.

    Glancing at the dark figures on last time, I turned on my heel and ran. Hoots and hollers picked up after me, and I could hear the footsteps picking up speed. They were chasing after me.