I've Gotta Go

Natalia's POV

Today's the day.

I'm going to college.

I'm leaving Thomas.

"Are y-you ready N-Natalia?"

"No. But, I'm happy I got into a college." We finish loading my stuff in the car.

"I'm gonna miss you."

"Ditto." We get in the car and Thomas starts it. We drive to the airport in silence.

When we get there, Thomas gets out and grabs my big suitcase.

"I can get that Thomas."

"I know."

I smile. "Thanks." I grab my carry-on and follow Thomas into the airport. I pull my passport out of my jacket pocket.

The jacket I stole from Thomas on our date in the London Eye.

"Flight H42, New York, is now boarding. Flight H42, New York."

I hug Thomas tight. "I've gotta go. I'll miss you."

"Me too. I love you, Natalia."

"I love you too, Thomas. Bye."

"Bye." We give each other a goodbye kiss.

I take my carry-on and passport over to the loading area.

"Passport and ticket, please." I give the lady my ticket and show her my passport. "Enjoy your flight, ma'am."

"Thanks." I get on the plane and take my seat. I turn my phone on airplane mode and start reading a book.

A young girl that looks familiar sits next to me with her mother.

"Hi! I'm-... Nat! Is that you?!"

"Thea?"

"Yay! Hi Nat!"

"What were you doing in London again?"

"We went sight-seeing. We liked it so much the last time we went, we decided to go again."

"That's great." I smile.

The mom looks over. "So you're the famous Nat?"

I look at Thea. I whisper, "Did you tell your mom about me?" She nods. "Apparently."

"Thank you for letting my daughter sit next to you on her first plane ride. Is there anything I could do for you?"

"Oh, no. It's fine."

"Do you have anyone in New York to pick you up? This isn't the plane you took to go to London."

"No, I was just going to call a cab."

"I insist, let me take you where you need to go."

"It's fine really, I just had a... how do I put it... heartbreak earlier. I would prefer a silent cab ride. But thank you for the offer."

"Oh, I see. I understand."

I take a nap for the rest of the ride. When I wake up, it looks like early evening. I get off the plane and grab my suitcases.

I go outside and wave a cab.

"Vaughn college of Aeronautics and Technology, please." He pulls out of the parking lot and drives away.

Farther from Thomas.

When we get there, I hand him a twenty. "Keep the change."

I walk to the office. "Hello, how may I help you?"

"Um, I'm Natalia Renback, I'm starting a trimester early. I'm supposed to come here to pick up my dorm key."

"Oh, yes. Here." She hands me a key. "Dorm number 392. Third floor. Your roommate will move in next trimester."

"Thanks." I take the elevator. Then I turn left and quickly find my dorm.

It's roomy. It has two beds, two bookshelves, two desks, and a bathroom.

I text my mom and Lillian. Then I FaceTime Thomas. He picks up before the first ring is over.

"Natalia!"

"Hi Thomas."

Thomas' POV

"Thank God you called. I was about to start tearing my hair out!"

She laughs. "Don't get your panties in a twist."

"I miss you." She forces a half smile.

"I miss you too. But hey! Four more years and I'm outta here. With a diploma."

"Four!" I curse under my breath.

"Yeah, I'm getting my bachelors degree."

"O-Oh. Well, I'll see you in four years. In person, I mean."

"In four years. I love you."

"I love you too." We hang up.

I lay down on my bed. The tears fall. I miss her so much.

I pick up my phone and call Dylan.

"What's up Tommy?"

I sniffle. "She left."

"Natalia? But the year's not over yet."

"She left to start some college early."

"Man, I'm sorry. I know you liked her a lot."

"She'll be there for four years."

"Dude, you're gonna make me cry. Just watch her favorite movie or something."

"Okay, thanks Dylan."

"No problem." We hang up.

I put Ferngully in my DVD player. Her favorite movie.