22. Angel

"I am ready to put my life on line, if it is to save our JiXian.

And that was exactly my sole purpose for going to Jingshi, to keep an eye for any intruders. My mind just cannot feel at ease starting the day someone dared to attempt hurting him, back in the village. 

Our poor JiXian. Who would be heartless to think of doing that to a child? 

But what shocked me was Wuxian's plans. I knew Wuxian was going through a hard time adapting to cloud recess based on my observation of him. Would you believe me if I say that he tried to run away?

Last night, if it was not for me, he would have left cloud recesses. 

He didn't expect me to be there, at that time. When I tried to persuade him, things led to an argument and that was how I got stabbed. It was not intentional, but he was totally out of control. 

Does he hate cloud recesses? 

Are you forcing him to stay here, Wangji? If you are, we should let him go. That is so against our morals. 

If that is not the case, you should show him that you are with him. We, as a family, are with him. 

I didn't want to tell our family issues to others. That's why I kept my mouth sealed, until you came.

However I shouldn't have gone to Jingshi, though it was just out of my love for my grandchild." 

Qiren, who had come up with a story during his fake sleep, twisted the incident. He knew that he cannot escape, as he was sure that no man would feel good about having a third person enter their private space, that too at night. 

As expected, his nephew had a sour face when he asked him why he entered jingshi when he was not there. He was not even concerned about his wound. 

Qiren dragged JiXian's name to gain sympathy, and in the end Lan zhan was back to his usual cold state when he left. 

Lan zhan was already afraid of Wei ying's thoughts of leaving him, and Qiren's theory gave him tremors throughout his body. The only difference being, he couldn't imagine Wei ying stabbing his Uncle. Because, according to him, Wei ying is the kind of person who would hurt himself if given an option of choosing between hurting himself and hurting a second person to live. 

Back in the village, he was concerned about the wellness of a lady who treated him like a bug and shooed him away. Wei ying was like that. Selfless. How could someone like him hurt a person just to escape? 

After being with his Uncle since his return, Lan zhan finally returned to jingshi. 

He must talk to Wei ying. To know his thoughts. To know whether he really hates being here. Or to be with him. Though he was very much afraid of the answer, he is willing to break himself rather than make the sweet soul suffer alone. 

He wanted to hug him. He had missed him so much. He must check whether Wei ying is hurt. 

When Lan zhan opened the door, he was able to see Wei ying's back shuddering on the bed. JiXian was not clearly visible, as his frame was hidden by Wei ying's. 

Lan zhan's eyes welled up as he saw the scene. Obviously Wei ying must be crying, without making a noise. How sad must he be to do this. 

Both Wei ying and JiXian hadn't even realized that the door was opened by someone. 

Lan zhan rushed his steps towards the bed. 

"Wei-" 

"Bwahahahahahahahahaha" 

"Hahahahaha mama you lost" 

JiXian jumped on the bed and laughed at his mother, clapping his hands. 

"Father"

"..." 

JiXian's body became stiff as he greeted his father with a bow. Lan zhan didn't understand what was going on. 

Meanwhile, Wei ying on hearing JiXian greeting his father, got up and turned to see Lan zhan. Wei ying's face was completely flushed with pink, and in the corner of his eyes were tears. Happy tears. 

Lan zhan was lost. Lost in the beauty. 

How could someone be beautiful, without making an effort. 

The eyes that shined like a starry night, glittering and deep, baby cheeks, with a shade of cherry blossoms, lips that curled up attracting Lan zhan like a magnet, pulling him with force. Lan zhan saw the eyes moving away from him for a second, the eyebrows arching together, signaling something to someone on the side, which turned out to be his son JiXian. Lan zhan was unable to interpret what was happening. His brain stopped working. It was only him and his Wei ying. He really wanted to break this spell, but couldn't. 

He felt weak. 

His lips felt dry. 

His whole body became hot. 

Lan zhan saw Wei ying walking towards him. Unknowingly, Lan zhan rolled his fists into a ball, to control himself. 

"Attaaaaack" 

Lan zhan's slow motion scene broke and he came to reality when he heard Wei ying and JiXian shouting in unison. 

The big baby and small baby pushed Lan zhan to the ground and started tickling him. It was Wei ying who was actually tickling him, JiXian though he actually copied his mother, it wasn't actually ticklish for Lan zhan but he could see that his sunshine really enjoyed his mother's company. If JiXian is sunshine, Wei ying is an angel. Lan zhan's body being used to roughness, he didn't feel much like laughing, but he smiled. 

He felt happy. This was the kind of family he has always wanted his family to be. 

His fingers itched, and he too joined the fun. He tickled Wei ying and JiXian, shocking the two. It took just a moment for Lan zhan to forget all the worries he had. 

The scene not only shocked Wei ying and JiXian, but also Qiren's spy who was guarding the door.

"Thought you were crying" Lan zhan said his thoughts on the scene, which he saw when he entered the room. 

"I will not cry. Not anymore" Wei ying replied, looking into Lan zhan's eyes.