❀ Prologue ❀

"Yin..."

Her broken whimpers were all he could hear amidst the chirping of crickets and the bickering of distant waterfalls. The dim bedroom was illuminated by a candle, bathing her glossy eyes, tear-stained cheeks, and quivering lips in a soft, golden glow. Her hands clutched onto his chest like a lifeline and her sharp nails dug into the bandages swaddled around his upper body, almost tearing through the thick gauze. Tear after tear fell in streams and soaked the red cotton fabric of his scarf. Her body jerked and trembled as a leaf with each sob and hiccup.

With his lips tugged downward into a concerned frown, he reached out a hand and tucked a tuft of brown hair, which was clinging to her damp cheek, behind her ear. He clasped the tip of his scarf between his fingers and brought it up to wipe away the tears dripping from her jawline, before engulfing her in an embrace, his hands caressing her back.

"Shh, Wanwan, hey..."

But no soothing coos can calm the storm in her heart, and they both know it. Because all she ever wanted was to bring back the times when they could eat at noodle shops and play around like idiots without receiving strange stares or overhearing ladies murmur along the lines of 'possessed' or 'evil god'. Times when there wasn't a threat of a bloodthirsty demigod wreaking havoc at any time.

"Why did it have to be you... Why did it have to be you...?"

Yin doesn't know either. But he will do everything he can to protect her from harm, even if it meant walking kilometers and leaving his homeland. Yet he didn't tell her about his planned departure in the dead of night - the last thing he wanted is to give her another reason to cry about.

She was called into the Dragon Altar the other day in accordance with the Great Dragon's request, and was heavily reprimanded for disobeying and carrying on their friendship, putting herself at risk. Within Yin is the same god who possessed the Black Dragon and provoked a dispute with the Great Dragon, a battle that almost wiped the lands off the map. Great power combined with unpredictable behavior is a recipe for disaster. One less Oriental Fighter meant less protection for the already vulnerable Cadia Riverlands.

That same night, she went home in tears and confided in him, the same situation he found himself in once more.

It kills him. Seeing her, crying and crumbling, because of him.

At one point, seeing her in distress became too much to bear, and he asked her why she kept pressing on despite the lectures and criticism thrown her way. In spite of his mere presence being a threat to her life.

Her answer was short and sweet - because he is her best friend; because she simply loves him.

To her, beyond the evil god; he, Yin, is still the boy who laughed and played with her throughout the years. No hurtful words or dirty looks can taint their shared history.

Though he still found it hard to understand, it goes without saying that he fell deeper in love than he already was.

Moments laced with sniffles, shaky cries, and comforting touches passed, before her tears calmed down into meager teardrops and nothing left her mouth but the softest snivel.

"Are you okay now?"

She nodded, and Yin poured them tea. After helping themselves to a cup, their eyes flitted toward the windows, at the emerald mountains, the thickets of peach blossom trees, the crystalline waterfalls, and the vast, azure heavens dotted with stars, where showers of petals blew past. He closed his eyes and basked in the zephyr and the warmth of Wanwan in his arms. A short-lived, tranquil moment, before the sun rises and he leaves home on the other side of the world.

The breeze slowly cooled into biting winds that puffed through the open window and put out the candle, thrusting the room into darkness. Silvery moonlight streaming through the branches outside blanched the other side of their faces in white, illuminating the longing and hope swirling in their brown and golden orbs.

Still, her warmth put the cold to shame, as she pressed her palm on his cheek and wiped away a stray tear with her thumb. Immediately, he leaned into her familiar touch, and laid his larger hand on top of hers, letting the tears fall; one after another, before her tender, uncritical eyes.

She is his home.

"Yin,"

The aroma of flowers and fresh grass permeated his nose the more she leaned closer. Her bright orbs seemed to capture him in its glistening honey pools. He could feel his heart pounding against his ribcage, screaming, begging for her, as it always did whenever she was near. Her other hand trailed upward along the ridges of his arm and nestled on his broad shoulder, sending shivers down his spine.

"Please stay..."

Before he knew it, the softness and warmth of her rosy lips engulfed his chapped ones. He slowly closed his eyes and wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her close until there wasn't a tinge of space between them, their lips moving languidly in the gentlest kiss. A sensation so foreign, yet so sweet.

With every second their kiss deepened, and soon they found themselves lost in their unspoken feelings. The world melted away and the air grew heavy and thick, filling every crevice and indent in the walls, as their lips meld and mold in the sweetest kiss. They drowned in bliss, until the soft smacking of their connecting lips were all they could hear.

By and by, they kissed the night away, murmuring sweet nothings whenever they parted for air, before slipping off into slumber under the covers, in each other's hold.

Yin awoke to the cobalt blue skies of midnight, and immediately peeled off the quilt from his body. He wrapped Wanwan's dozing, sprawled form in a blanket cocoon, and pressed a featherlight kiss on her cheek. She whined and stirred ever-so-slightly, and he flinched away.

With quiet strides, he stepped out of his bedroom and fetched a rucksack, wherein he stuffed his belongings and favorite clothes, and slung the sack over his shoulder.

As he gently closed the door behind him, he spared his home one last, remorseful glance, and turned on his heels.

Just like that, he disappeared into the tenebrous woods without a goodbye.

[Please be patient as I work on Chapter 1. The prologue you had just read, which consists of a mere 1078 words, took me two days to complete because of all the editing. I try my best to craft a good story for my readers.

So, if you liked my work, consider leaving a vote! It will really encourage me to keep improving my writing.]