Chapter 4

Cal

She beat their Silver butts. It was freaking amazing. I wonder where that person she kept bringing went. The one who acted like a child. Never mind that. I keep seeing her face as she stormed out, eyes blazing and her face, a moment ago so open, fierce and cold.

I spent the rest of the day thinking about Mare, the conversation we had, and trying not to burn any drinks. Somehow I made that possible, almost sacrificing two silver mugs in the process.

Next day, Mare came back and talked to me again. This time, it's not about something pressing or sad, it's just a normal conversation between friends. Well, I want it to be more than that. How come was a mystery but I feel like she's the spark I need in my dark days. But the third day after Mare punched Silver in the face, I got two letters. One from Mavey, and the other from the king himself; my father. For him to send me a letter when he could so easily just come find me said a lot about it.

I read Mavey's letter first.

Dear Cal,

Where to begin. A lot has happened and I want you to know I'm coming back. I don't want to explain why, but all the friends we made there are long gone. I understand you didn't want to return but also I need you to know that it's best to stay away from me when you return. I need some time to get over the things I've seen.

Stay Regal. Or not,

Maven

Mavey was returning so soon? But it had barely been a week. So what happened? I felt the cup of water I was holding start to boil. I set it down and took a deep breath. Why was Mavey complaining about the things he'd seen? I didn't have a Whisper mother to take the pain away, my dreams are plagued with the people I was close to dying, and my mother couldn't give me enough comfort to change that. My mother was dead when I was still a child.