𝟎𝟎𝟐: duty

DUTY
CHAPTER TWO

A FEW MONTHS LATER

A FEW MONTHS LATER . . .

THE NIGHTS PASSED LIKE a nightmare to Viserra. As the moon turned, motherhood stood closer — reaching for her until she was drained for everything she was.

When the day came, her once rosy cheeks watered down, bleeding pale into her skin. While she held onto the phantom of her girlhood, Jaehaerys and Jaehaera had just grasp life. They depleted her energy and the love she once held for herself, but took less than Aegon did.

"You must eat something, sister," said sweet Helaena. Her hand held a gold colored hair brush, delicately combing it through her sister's hair. She looked at their reflection in the mirror, frowning. "Is it something he said again?"

"No."

Yes.

"He is just wary of Ser Marcyl," Viserra whispered, her fingers chipping away at the edges of her jade necklace. She then looked up to meet Helaena's glance and smiled. "I'm okay, sister."

Helaena did not respond, only nodding hesitantly. She would try to drown out Viserra's screams that seeped through her chamber walls. She did not like her siblings fighting — hurting one another.

She knew that Viserra had not been the same since the wedding . . . but he remained the same. She often wondered why her sister was willing to marry Aegon, knowing that all he ever did was hurt. What could he possibly give her that was worth enduring a lifetime of suffering?

"Are you sure that you must go alone?" asked Helaena. "I'm sure Ser Criston would not hesitate to accompany you to Oldtown." Please, she thought, don't go alone.

"Ser Criston has much more important things to do. Besides," Viserra glanced back at the mirror. "Ser Marcyl will be accompanying me. He wields his sword just as good as Ser Criston, if not better."

Helaena said nothing after that. She picked to believe that the young knight cared more about her sister than his own life. She needed to, because she would not sleep a wink knowing Viserra suffered more in Oldtown than she did here.

OLDTOWN WAS THE SAME as she had left it all those months ago.

"I hope the weather is to your liking," Lord Hightower said, as his hands held his cup of tea.

Viserra only nodded, her hands slightly trembling. Her stomach felt empty but her mind remained filled with anxiety.

"Are the plans for the future sealed?"

She hesitated, but nodded again.

"Good."

Viserra could hear a smile in his words.

"I think Aegon knows," She whispered, her voice barley audible. She bit her lip, nearly drawing blood. "I don't think I can continue doing this at the moment. Perhaps it's best we wait —"

At this, her grandsire shook his head. "You can and you will," he commanded. "Your mother has suffered too much at the hands of Rhaenyra and will continue to do so if you do not learn your place —"

Viserra slammed her hands on the table, her rings and bracelets hit the wooden surface with a bang. "I will do as I please and I will not be given orders by a man who has been exiled from court!" With a deep sigh, she closed her eyes.

"I have not seen this side of you, my granddaughter." The Hightower Lord faintly smiled. "I even doubted its existence."

Viserra shook her head, her breathing quickened. She couldn't help but look down in shame. "No — that was beneath me. I'm sorry. A Princess should not raise her voice at her own grandsire —"

"But a Queen should. She will need to be stern," He says, nodding his head at her as she raises her head to look at him. "We play an ugly game. And now, for the first time, I see that you have devoted yourself to win it."

"But what of Aegon? What will he say when he truly finds out about all of this?"

"He'll ask for something in return," His voice sounded almost that of pity. "You will do as he wishes, and I promise you, in time, you will prevail."

Viserra breathed in a deep breath, knowing the pain that was to be inflicted upon her. With a quick exhale, she stood from her seat.

"Our time today has been short, grandsire," She looked down at where he still sat. "But in time, I know we will be seeing more of one another in court."

"How can you be so sure?"

Viserra paused for a moment before smiling,"I am to be the Queen. I have no shortage of allies."

AUTHOR'S NOTE !

AUTHOR'S NOTE !

i was having so much trouble writing this chapter oml...i hope everyone understands who Viserra is hinting at towards the end; if not, then oops.

i'm so excited that they started filming season 2 but also scared for the things sweet helaena is gonna go through 😭😭😭

also this is irrelevant but i have been watching star wars and y'all anakin making me giggle every time he's on screen. like i need to write an anakin story or something but then again obi-wan got me kicking my feet 🤭🤭 i'm barely starting movie 5 but i love luke and leia sm. also han is so funny but that man got no filter  😭

don't be a silent reader! comment & vote