2: She's not leaving

A/N: This is the last chapter for 'she's not leaving', I will not be posting any new stories until after the New Year but I will continue to write them. Enjoy and have a safe and happy Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Neal stared at the Manhattan skyline, his tears still falling down his face at rapid speed but he couldn't blame himself: Alex, his Alex, his beautiful, funny, caring Alex, was dead and there was nothing he could do. He was subjected to watch as yet another woman in his life was killed right in front of him.

And just like Kate, he never got a chance to say goodbye, he never had a chance to say 'I love you' one last time, but at least this time he wasn't being dragged away from the scene with his hands in handcuffs, and Jones and Diana escorting him back to prison, Jones departing him with a firm hand on his shoulder and Diana departing with a hug and a whispered 'call me if you need me' in his ear.

Sara floated at the front of his mind and he knew, in that moment, he could never be happy with anyone else, he'd just get her killed like he got Kate and Alex killed. Yes, he'd break both of their hearts and end their relationship, if it meant keeping Sara alive.

"I'm sorry girls." Neal whispered to the gray clouds that hung above him. The door to the roof banged open and Neal turned his head to look over his shoulder and watched as Sara walked up beside him and leaned her head on his shoulder.

"I'm sorry about Alex, I knew how much you cared about her." Sara whispered to him, Neal nodded and closed his blue eyes as a lone tear fell out of his eye, trailed down his cheek and landed on Sara's red hair.

Sara looked at Peter, Jones, Diana, Hughes, Elizabeth and Mozzie with an open mouth.

"Why me? You guys know him better, you can convince him not to seek 'justice' for Alex." Sara protested as ash put on her blazer. Peter shook his head.

"Which is why he won't listen to us when we tell him not to do it alone, he didn't listen when we said to him when Kate died and he won't listen now, you're the only one he'll listen to, Sara." Peter told the redhead strongly. Sara sighed, she'd watched the video of Alex dying along with the rest of them and saw how shattered Neal was when he saw Alex was bound and gagged, his whole body froze up when he heard Alex telling him that she'd always loved him and watched as he ran out of the room and the bullpen after the shot was fired that killed Alex, his oldest friend. She was more worried about her boyfriend than any of them as they watched the elevator door close shut.

Sara sighed and nodded. "Fine, I'll tell him not to go outside the law for justice for Alex, but don't think for one second he won't lie to me when he says he won't because he will and we all know it." Sara warned the group. "You want me to pull his tracking data to tell you where he is?" Jones had asked her, Sara shook her head and smiled at them. "No, I know where he is." And with that, Sara walked out of the conference room, out of the bullpen and took the elevator to the roof where she knew her boyfriend was.

She walked out to the roof and saw Neal looking at her as she walked over to him and leapt her head on his shoulder. "I'm sorry about Alex, I knew how much you cared about her." She whispered to him, she felt him nod and a tear drop onto her hair. Her heart broke for her grieving boyfriend. He was in so much pain and she couldn't do anything about it.

"Sara, I'm sorry but we can't do this anymore." Sara snapped her head up at him and looked at him, rage building up inside of her chest: was he seriously breaking up with her an hour after he witnessed his best friend die?

"Why?" Sara demanded of him as she moved away from him, arms crossed across her chest. Neal had sighed.

"Me being happy with you will get you killed, just like it did with Kate and Alex, they're dead because of me! Because once I get a slice of happiness, my happiness is taken away from me and is killed right in front of me. I've lost Kate and Alex, because I was happy with them, I'm not losing you too!" Neal yelled at her, his fingers ran through his hair. Sara suddenly understood why he wanted to break up with her: he had lost everyone he'd been happy with and he was 'saving' her from the same fate that Kate and Alex had endured, but she wasn't going to let him break both of their hearts over something so idiotic and that wouldn't happen, despite what he thought. Sara scoffed and shook her head, she was sure the others could hear Neal's 'break up' with her and his reasons behind it from the hidden mic from inside her blazer pocket.

"Neal, look at me." Sara had ordered the conman who was looking anywhere but him. "Neal. Look. at. Me." Sara said slowly, enunciating every word at him. Neal finally looked at her. Sara walked up to him and cradled his face in her hands, staring into his blue eyes.

"I'm not leaving you, no matter what you say, no matter how hard you try to push me away, I'll be right here because I'm not letting you break both of our hearts, every time you push me away, I'm gonna keep coming back because you are not, and I repeat, you are not, losing me too, I promise." Sara said thickly as tears fell from her emerald green eyes. Neal's thumb wiped the tears away and his lips crashed onto hers. They kissed for what seemed like hours and they pulled away when the rain started to pour down on them. Sara laughed as she threaded her fingers through his.

Neal walked back into the FBI building with Sara beside him. He knew that no matter how hard he tried to push her away, she'd come running right back.

He wasn't losing her.

She wasn't leaving him.