[6] Tears Don't Fall

Começar do início

"Yeah."

"Thank you."

The guy, whom I'm amusing is Jaden, bent down and kissed her cheek.

He went inside and my ex-girlfriend (and the mother of my five-year-old daughter I didn't know about) turned to me. "Jason, listen, the reason, I got you out of jail is because I've thought about it and I want you to be a part of Zelda's life," she replied as she smiled at me.

"So, she is my daughter?" I asked, giving her a curious look.

"Yes, and I'm sorry I didn't tell you about it five years ago."

"That's okay. And I'd love to have her be a part of my life. But you realize this all has to go into court?"

"I know. I've already have the day planned. We're going to court in two weeks, so you can get custody of Zelda."

"Two weeks. Wow. Okay. And I'm sorry about when I kidnapped her and almost raped her."

"I forgive you."

"So, I'll get custody of Zelda. Do you care if I date someone else?"

"I don't care. Because actually Jaden and I are dating," I answered.

"Okay."

After Jason and I figured all that out, he came inside for a snack. "Honey, I'm glad you and Jason are talking again," Mom replied, serving us each two cookies with a glass of milk.

"I'm glad we're finally talking also."

"So, are y'all going to court in two weeks?" Mom asked, sitting down at the table.

"Yes, ma'am," Jason answered.

"Very good," Mom answered.

"Mom, the judge said she needs witnesses. So, I need you, Felicia, Sidney, Derrick, Brit, Anastasia, Aunt Sarah, Grandma Samantha, Grandpa Joe to come to court with us."

"Okay, honey. What about Dad?" she asked.

"Him also."

"Okay. I'll phone Dad and talk to him about it."

"Okay."

Mom leaned against the kitchen counter and called him. ". . . Hi, Drake. I know we haven't talked for five and a half years, but our daughter is going to court and she wants you to be there . . . Two weeks from today. October 25 . . . 432 Elm Street Miami Florida . . . Yes. Drake, will you please just come?  .  .  .  See you in two weeks." She hung up and turned to me. "He'll come. But, he's not a witness. Remember he left after you announced to is that you were pregnant."

"I know. But he witnessed me telling y'all."

"You're right," Mom answered.

When we finished our snack, Zelda came over to where I was sitting and sat in my lap. She whispered into my ear, "Momma, who's that person that looks just like me?"

"Honey, that's your biological dad, Jason Bell," I answered, smiling at my ex-boyfriend's spitting image.

"Jason? He my real daddy?" she asked, a grin spreading across her face.

"Yes."

Zelda looked at Jason and gave him one of her big smiles. The exact same one I gave him the first time he kissed me, six and a half years ago.

'Two of my best friend's at Pope View Middle School walked beside me as we watched Alyxandra Pumpwell's huge million dollar mansion come into view in front of our eyes. Alyxandra Pumpwell is one of the popular girls at our middle school and this afternoon her parents are letting her invite over a few friends for a pool party. My best friends (also identical twin sisters) Kayla and Kasheka Holmes stood on either side of me in their matching tankinis and matching brown cover ups. I was wearing my white polka dot bikini from Aeropostale and a white cover up over it. "Can you believe it?!" Kayla shrieked excitedly. "Alyxandra Pumpwell, one of the popular girl's at Pope View Middle School, invited us to her pool party!"