⁵ the bloody truth

Start bij het begin

"hey, you" he said as he hugged her while still sitting, he lifted her up and placed her in his lap as he continued writing on madelyn's paper, doing her schoolwork—-flora glanced over to the teenage girl on the other side of the desk,

"maddy when did your eyes become that way?" flora innocently asked as she pointed to her own eyes, referring to how they were two different colors, making madelyn laugh slightly before she answered the young girls question,

"not sure, i was born with them like this flora" she answered sweetly, making the little girls mouth drop before she replied, "that's so cool! i wish my eyes were like that" she said, making miles look up from the paper before he spoke,

"they are cool, huh?" miles said as he looked at his little sister with a smile on his face, flora still sat on his lap—-before looking back over to the girl sitting across from the table, causing madelyn's heart to jump inside of her chest at the way miles was looking at her.

ever since she got back, she's been feeling slightly different around him...

like the tension between them completely changed.

they both grew up in their own ways when miles went away to boarding school, mentally and physically.

but all good things must come to an end, especially when you were stuck living with someone like quint, who wouldn't leave no matter how hard they tried to get him to.

because quint came walking into the kitchen, madelyn's chair was facing him as miles and flora had their backs turned towards him, miles noticed her eyes widen before she looked back down at the desk, making his face wash over with confusion before he turned around and saw quint.

madelyn looked over to ms. jessel with worry in her eyes, she was staring right at her before they both looked back down at their desks and pretended to not even acknowledge his presence in the room.

miles picked flora up and placed her back on the ground before he stood up and walked over to quint, going to talk to him in the kitchen, making madelyn swallow thickly.

she hated watching them interact.

it broke her heart every single time.

the phone that was attached to the wall began ringing, causing ms. jessel to stand up and walk over to it quickly, madelyn's eyes flickered back and forth between her and the boys talking in the kitchen.

her heart was pounding in her chest, she could hear it thumping with every beat—-she wanted to throw up.

she hated being in the same room as quint.

she looked back over to ms. jessel, who had an expression of concern wash over her face as she was on the phone, causing madelyn to furrow her brows as she stared at the young woman, wondering what could possibly be going on.

"o-okay, thank you for calling" she said before hanging up the phone, she looked over to madelyn, catching her gaze as she was already staring at her before walking over to the desk and grabbing her hand gently, urging her to stand up.

"what's wrong?" madelyn whispered as she stared down at the shorter woman, looking over her shoulder discreetly to see that quint and miles were still caught up in their own conversation to be paying attention to them.

ms. jessel looked around with worry before pulling madelyn into the other room, getting them alone before she spoke, "what did miles tell you when he got home? did he tell you why he came home?" ms. jessel asked in a low whisper, causing the teenagers face to contort into confusion at her question,

"he told me that he was being on his best behavior so they would let him leave earlier..." she trailed off in a low whisper, still confused on what was going on after not being given much information.