Chapter Four: The Monster Within

It's been two days since Booker and Luz snuck into Hexside with the help of their new friends, Willow and Gus. It was fun until Booker was caught, and they had to make a run for it. Now the human and half-witch were banned from ever entering Hexside. Even so, they sparked an instant friendship with Willow and Gus, even if Gus would obsess about the things the humans did and what 'human items' they had.

Now, on this day, as the sky darkened with storm clouds, Booker and his crush were brought to the living by King. Apparently, he had something important for them.

However, something happened, and the two couldn't help themselves. Luz turned on her phone's camera and pointed it at Booker, who was sitting next to her. "I'm Booker Bridges, and we've just stumbled across a most fearsome creature. A legendary monster caught on camera for the first time," he said with an Austrian accent.

"Indeed," Luz said, but in a British accent. She then turned the camera towards King, and closed in on one of his eyes. "This most fearsome creature is known as the king of demons." She then zoomed out to show King trying to tear a sock that was stuck on his boney snout. "Facing his natural enemy, the ducky sock."

"Only one winner will come out of this clash of the titans," Booker chuckled as Luz giggled with him. The two enjoyed watching their little friend struggling to get off the sock with his back paws. He was able to rip the sock's front before standing up and tearing the rest of it apart. He stomped on the pieces and then pounded on them with his fists.

"Where are you now, ducky sock?!" King shouted.

"It's so cute when he acts all tough," Luz gushes with a cute squeal of her own.

"So, why'd you call us here?" Booker asked in his normal voice.

"Oh, yeah." King then turned and started climbing on top of a table next to a board that had a blanket covering it. He then turned to the two friends to address them. "Human Luz, Hybrid Booker, you've been so obsessed with witchcraft. that you haven't learned anything about my kind. Prepare yourself for..." Grabbing the blanket, King pulled it off to reveal many photos of monstrous creatures and demonic beings, while putting on a fake professor hat. "... Demons 101! Demons like me are grim tricksters of the twilight, creatures of sulfur and bone."

"And cute little paws," Luz added.

King sighed in annoyance. "And cute little paws. True. We live only to create chaos and misery. Our only weaknesses are purified water and passive‐aggressive comments. Sometimes."

"Aw, the big bad demons are sensitive," Booker said with a smirk.

"Even demons have inner demons," King said, before taking off the picture and showing the two teens an image of a very intimidating-looking demon with a large spiked shell on its back. "The most powerful demon of all is the Snaggleback. He's a‐‐"

"Bad boy!" Luz started adding special effects like stickers and text.

"Luz, pay attention. This information could save both your lives someday," King said.

Booker sighed and took his friend's phone from her. "He's right, Luz. Magic wouldn't be enough to save us," he said, turning off the phone and then handing it back to her.

"No, no. I am so paying attention. This is my paying attention face," Luz reassured King, before putting her hand under her chin and nodding. "Mm‐hmm, mm‐hmm, mm‐hmm."

"That's the same face you make when you're also pretending to pay attention, " Booker said with a smirk. The two were then startled by the sudden boom of thunder and lightning flash.

"Uh‐oh. Looks like it's gonna rain," King said.

This made Luz gasp with excitement. "I love the rain," she said, jumping off the floor and running to the door. Booker followed behind her.