II. Cigarettes

Mary woke up early that Saturday even though her shift started at eight am. She chose quietly the clothes for that day and once she was done, she went away on her tip toes to not wake her parents up.

When she was finally outside, the music started to play into her headphones as her feet moved quickly far from home, towards the cafè. It wasn't necessary to ask a ride in the car for a few meters and apparently she wasn't the only one to share that thought: Remus Lupin, Mary's best friend, loved morning walks more than anything else, especially if he had some company like Mary for example. The two in fact always met halfway, even that day.

"You know you shouldn't be here already, your shift starts within two hours." Remus explained, dragging down on the neck Mary's headphones as she glared at him.

"I guess I'm trying to put more effort to earn more money," she paused, "Hi to you Remus."

He smiled and then put an arm over her shoulders, together they walked towards the already opened cafe. They were never alone: Grant Chapman used to wake up even before them to open the place and let them find it warm enough.

"It's the third time this month you show up before your actual shift, are you okay Mary?"

Everybody seemed worried for her despite she was fine. At least this was what Mary firmly believed and no one could make up her mind. Not even Grant or Remus, she was alright.

"I'm okay, I'd rather stay here than at home." she put on her bartender's uniform and immediately her nose got invaded by a sweet smell of coffee and croissants, "And people love when I'm behind the counter."

Remus laughed, his eyes shifted on the amount of people who was about to entering in the cafe, including a blonde girl whose smile could brighten your day.

"Maybe you're right, people love you, especially her."

Mary's eyes went wide. "Holy shit."

As if things couldn't get worse, Grant arrived and positioned himself in front of her. "Don't forget the hat! There you go." he said before disappearing in the back.

Mary was clearly embarassed and in the moment the door had opened, she hoped to be able to hide somewhere so as not to be seen wearing her uniform and with that hat. Unfortunately the world didn't care about her biggest wishes so she had to face the most beautiful and yet playful girl between a crowd of middle-aged people in a hurry to get to their jobs.

"What can I get for you?" Mary asked first with both her hands on the on the cold marble of the counter.

Marlene McKinnon smiled but her gaze followed Mary's head as she feared. "Nice hat. I would like a cup of black coffee and this... pain au chocolate." she ended by pointing it through the glass. Mary laughed.

"You don't say it right." she laughed while she selected the price of the products at the cashier, "That's 4 pounds 50 cents."

She handed her a piece of five extracted from the phone case and waited for the rest. "Do you speak french and I didn't know?"

She shooked her head and changed the money. "Regulus is a great teacher when he's bored, then he talks a lot."

Marlene grabbed a chair and moved there to stay in front of Mary, she definitely loved talking. She rested her chin on her hand and waited for her order patiently, thinking about how to keep talking with the pretty bartender whose skaiting skills were absolutely amazing.

"I want to listen to other french words beside the food."

Mary smiled and started to make the coffee Marlene asked for. "Is that a new obsession?"