⤠ Chapter XIV

T H E  Q U A R R E L

 ⊱ T H E  Q U A R R E L ⊰

⊱⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⊰

LOOKING OUT UPON THE BAY, the five sat on the top of the Razor Crest. Bo-Katan had pointed out an Imperial freighter. "-It's being loaded with weapons as we speak. According to the ports manifest, it's scheduled to depart at first light."

"So, we stow away?" suggested Mando.

"We've been hitting them pretty hard," Reeves, the last of the new Mandalorians, chimed. "They scan for life forms as a precaution before pushing back."

"If you wanna do this with four, you're gonna need the element of surprise."

Ari glanced back at her friend, confused as to why he said four when there were five of them. He held up his hand slightly, telling her to wait - he'd explain later.

"Exactly," replied Bo-Katan. "The freighter will maintain trawling speed while inside the shipping lanes and then ascend in orbit. We'll jet up when they're cruising in the atmosphere. The tower won't allow them to climb until they've left the port's airspace."

"Troopers?"

"A squad at most."

"And they couldn't hit the side of a bantha," Axe said, making Ari laugh. He smirked back at her, proud of having completed his goal.

Mando shifted, a new wave of dislike towards Axe erupting throughout his veins. "I've got to bring the kid to a safe place," he told Bo-Katan.

"You do that then. Meet us here at dawn, we'll be waiting."

⊱⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⊰

MANDO WAS UPSET WITH HER, she could tell. He didn't wait for her when he told her to join him nor did he keep in step with her. Ari frowned at his back which was feet in front of her and questioned what she had done. He had said four not five, he did not want her on this mission, why? It's not like she can't hold up her own side. She needed answers. Now.

She sprinted to catch up with him, calling out his name but never getting a response. "Mando, answer me, please. What did I do wrong?"

The bounty hunter spun around, clutching the kid. "You are keeping things from me, Arani. I came all this way just to find out that you could have led me to the Jedi all along."

"Have you listened to a word I've said? I knew a Jedi. It's been five years since I fought alongside them. I don't even remember their name or what they look like, and you expect me to know where they're hiding nowadays? That's not fair. Not when you didn't even tell me the kid was force sensitive."

"I had to keep him protected."

"Oh, so now I'm a threat?"

"I didn't say that."

"Then what did you mean?"

They came across the inn and found the frogs' room. Mando knocked on a door and it sprung open to reveal the couple from earlier that day. He ignored Arani and became civil once again.

"Something's come up. Can I leave them with you for a bit?"

Ari's heart raced. Her hunch was correct. "Leave 'them'?!"

But Mando still ignored her and when the two frogs nodded, he pushed her inside, the door closing behind them.

"You don't get to ignore me. Mando, what do you mean? I'm coming on that mission!"

"No, you're gonna stay here and watch the kid."

Ari crossed her arms. "Like hell I am! I don't know the first thing about watching children."

Mando walked around her and handed the kid over to the frog lady. "That's why I'm having you stay with them. I'll be back later, I promise."

"No. No, you don't get to make empty promises. Because what if you don't come back, Mando? What am I gonna do?"

"You're going to finish what I started." He went to the door, ready to depart but Ari tugged at his arm, getting him to stop.

"I can't! I can't take care of the kid all by myself. I can't bring him to his people alone, there is now a bounty out for me all because I am affiliated with you! I refuse to fail again, I already fail Arros!" Arani let go of the Mandalorian and took a step back, knowing she said too much. Before he could ask questions, she caught her breath and calmly said: "I'm scared . . . for so many reasons. But mainly, it's because I'm afraid to lose you. I love you very much, Mando, more than either of us can realize. Please, let me go with you."

The bounty hunter stared at the girl for a while, debating on what to do. After some time he sighed and looked at the ceiling. "Fine."

The young woman's heart fluttered. "Really?"

"Yeah." The door opened and as he stepped out he said his thanks to the couple.

Ari hadn't even left the threshold when he pushed her back inside. "I'll be back for you." She fell over and as she started to get up, he closed the door. She ran to it, banging on it and screaming. "Mando, you ass! Get back here and face me like a man! You're so lucky you're wearing that helmet, or else your pretty face would be ruined. When you come back I gonna kill you, you hear me? Kill you!"

She slid down to the floor, her head dropping into her hands and her forehead leaning against her knees. A tear ran down her cheek and she wiped it away, getting control of herself. She wouldn't cry for him, not when he gave her false hope.

She glanced up at the couple and squinted. "Would you guys try to stop me if I left?"

The husband croaked and got up from his spot. Hoisting Arani to her feet, he led her to the kitchen table and stood beside her, arms crossed.

"Guess that's a yes."

⊱⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⊶⊷⊰