Payday or Payback?

Start from the beginning

"Putragis naman, Ding, nakikita mo nagaaral dito!"

"You're welcome, ah? Concerned lang ako sa HANGRY best friend ko kaya nga ayan... may jumbo hotdog ka."

"Wala man lang pagkagentle man? Wala man lang... 'Narda, kain ka muna...'"

"O-- kung ayaw mo, akin nalang, kakainin ko yan," Ding interjected, grabbing the cheese-dog as he started unwrapping it.

"Gagu naman,e. Thank you na ... thank you," Narda hurriedly said, fighting to grab the unwrapped snack, and shoving it into her mouth.

They sat there quietly as Narda stuffed the huge morsel in her mouth, ironically, right behind her was a big "NO FOOD OR DRINK ALLOWED" SIGN.

It was her first meal that entire day, she had been busy studying and juggling sideline tutoring jobs.  She saw her last Chemometrics test, she received an 86%.

She was even struggling with her BioChem thesis.

Huge problem.  Not acceptable for someone who lived off of high grades to get by with a scholarship.  Just the thought of slipping a little could have dire consequences for her financial aid.

Charity cases like her always had conditions.

Ding could read his best friend well.   It was odd, it was like they were the most platonic soulmates on earth. 

He felt like he had an Ate in Narda, he could not read most women and he actually was pretty bad with the opposite sex, being the awkward kid that he was.

But he fully understood Narda.

"Alam mo, kaya bumababa mga grades mo kaka-racket mo,e. Natutulog ka pa ba? Tao ka pa ba," Ding said with concern trailing in his voice.

  Natutulog ka pa ba?  Tao ka pa ba," Ding said with concern trailing in his voice

"Ding, alam mo naman tinutulungan ko si Nanay.   Last niya na raw ito.  Nagkanda-leche-leche kasi yung last business niya kasama ex niya,e," Narda bit her lip, her mind wandering. Her eyes blank.

Counting all the requirements she had to finish. Counting all the money she needed. Her head was pounding. Her heart thudding with dread.

"You're taking on TOO MUCH.  Nasa last rounds ka na, Narda.  Kailangan mo ang scholarship. Kailangan mo grumaduate.  Nangyayari kasi hati-hati oras mo kakagawa ng essay nina Carson Chu. Kakawaitress kung saan. Tapos may thesis ka pa. Hoy, hindi ka si Captain Marvel!"

"Si Darna lang... gets mo, diba? Darna and Ding? Dapat may conyo accent ako kasi taga PU ako.  Ding, where is the batoooow?!"

--------------

On the other side of the prestigious Odegard Library was the NorthWest Hall that had a special guesting with Senator Ranile.   

The closed door meeting had a few selected guests and students that would receive awards.   The mustached politician with a pot belly was posing for photos, looking suave in his barong.