Chapter 1

Vegas's POV

I reach home at about 4 am in the morning. The meeting with the Main Family worn me out. After Father was killed, Porche was made the head of the Minor family, Of My Family. Though this Family never saw me as one of them. I know even if I work my entire life off for the Main Family, they will never fully trust me, never fully accept me. Yet this wishful thinking.......

With light steps, I climb up the stairs towards my room. I don't wish for Macau to wake up. He has school tomorrow morning and he would be unnecessarily worried knowing that I come back late home, if I could even call it a home. Macau is the only Family left but it seems that after the Fight between the Families, he has stopped interacting much with me. He always comes home late from school too. Why wouldn't he? Who would even like to spend time with a good for nothing Older Brother that led to the doom of the Minor Family. 

I open the door to my bedroom and walk towards my bed. I pull the curtains open so that I get to see the night sky. But just like my life, it is empty as well, neither a moon nor any stars. So very lonely.

'Sigh.' What a shitty life. I think to myself and then I feel something graze my left hand. As I look down I find the most cute pet in the entire world looking back at me as he rubs himself on my hand. He always does that when I am feeling down. It's as if he knows what can make my shitty mood better. I smile at his behavior as I scoop him up in my arms.

"Did you miss me buddy?"

"Sorry I was late." I say as I give him a light peck and then place him on the bed.

'He is acting that way because he is getting older Vegas....Try to understand....Unlike Humans...Pets have limited lifespan....It's inevitable that they have to leave us someday....." I remember what the Vet had said when I had taken Pete for inspection. 

I lone tear strains down my face, threatening to fall as I wipe it with the back of my hand. I glance out towards the sky as I get up and walk towards the Bathroom. 

After having a warm bath and changing into more relaxed clothes, I drink up a warm cup of milk. Something that my Psychiatrist had told 'Don't just pop sleeping pills, instead try something like Warm Milk.' And it had worked like Magic. I was able to sleep peacefully without any more nightmares. But it was also because Of Pete....It was Pete that used to lie on my stomach while sleeping in a curled ball. 

Walking out of the Bath, and to the Bed, I lift up the quilt to see Pete is already in the bed, naking himself comfortable between the warm blankets. 

I still remember the first time that Dad bought me Pete. 'It has to be yet another Pet that is gonna die yet again.' is what I had thought when I saw him for the first time that Night. It was because of my cursed hands. I killed my twin brother in Mom's womb, I killed Mom, then the various pets that I had gotten as gifts. All of them died because of me. I even killed my Father. And now even Pete...... 

Everyone died but Me. The One who should have actually died should have been me.

I start slapping myself hard. After Dad's death, the only thing that seems to reduce the guilt in my heart is self punishment. I should be punished for Killing everyone while staying alive myself. Maybe the reason I am alive is because a monster like me doesn't even deserve a peaceful death. So, only by hurting and overworking myself to the bone for the Main Family can I atone for my sins. That's the way I should continue living. 

I start hitting myself louder. Each slap an apology for those I killed....Each slap harder than the one before... Each one making my cheeks more and more Numb, but not as numb as my heart. But then all of a sudden I feel something moving on my lap. I look down to my hedgehog, Pete that has now settled himself in between my things. The earlier moment in my lap is now replaced as he stays still once my eyes lay on him. 

It's as if he doesn't want to see me hurting myself. 

No Pete....I deserve it...... 

And within seconds a tear streams down my left eye as it falls on Pete. And then another and yet another. I now just scope him up as I bring him closer to my chest and hug him tightly as I keep bawling my eyes out. I know he will not understand anything, much less communicate with me. But I just want to let it all out......

"I shouldn't have met you Pete..."

"I should have instead given you to Macau...."

"I...I...should have.... Then it wouldn't hurt as much..."

"I don't want you to die too..... Please Pete.... Pleaseeee.... I can punch and slap myself everyday.... I can even work without sleeping.....Just.....Just.....Please.....Don't leave me alone na Pete????? ..... I ain't ready..... I ain't ready for you to leave ....Pete...... Please....." 

__________