CHAPTER 6

"It's almost midnight, my lady. You should definitely get back now, your father could be worrying to death right now," she chuckled as she is still holding my hand leading me back to my carriage. 

As there were several people outside the palace, she let go of my hand. She knew how much I hated rumors between us. "Take her home safely," she said to the riders, who nodded immediately. She then turned to face me, her warm smile still on her face.

I've never seen her look like this before; in the novel, she's usually hostile or frowning. But what about now? She's smiling like a child who doesn't care about anything.

"Your excellency, don't go to Snezhnaya without me," I warned.

"You have my word on it," she said as she took my hand and kissed it. She smiled at me as she moved closer to my ear. "Don't worry about rumors about you; I'll never believe them; I just trust in you," she said softly. "But I'm afraid I have to go apologize to Signora for humiliating her in public; her family is furious," she chuckled as she pulled out.

"Don't miss me too much, your excellency," I said as I got into the carriage with her help. She then closed the door as she said, "I'll probably do," and the carriage moved as I waved farewell to her through the pane of the door.

---

"My lady," said Lumine as she entered my room. "An invitation letter has been sent to you from Signora's family," she continued.

This is weird because they never send me invitation letters. Is this some kind of ruse? A plot to get revenge on me?

They are, however, mistaken. I'm not going to let them exact their vengeance on me and disgrace me in public.

I was going to respond to the letter in which I stated that I would attend. I peeked out my window when I heard a commotion outside. It was General Sara hopped off from the horse.

I quickly prepared and rushed downstairs to welcome her when the doors finally opened. "What brings you here, General?"

"Her Excellency heard Lady Signora has invited you to her tea party," she said. "She asked me to be there for you if anything happened,"

This startled me, but it will be helpful. When the General is around, they will not dare to play any petty tricks on me. "I see," I said. "The party is later in the afternoon; you may wait in our backyard in the meanwhile,"

She then proceeded to our backyard. "I'll prepare myself; in the meantime, please write a letter to those maids I approved and inform them that they will begin working here tomorrow," I remarked, and Lumine swiftly did as I instructed.

---

I asked Lumine to call the General and tell her that I was ready. She arrived at the front door a few minutes later, staring at me from head to toe. "Her Excellency will love it," she teased as she led the way to the carriage. She then offered her arm to assist me in going inside, and I accepted her help; she then followed. She then instructed the rider to ride immediately, which they did. We're on our way to that insolent woman's duchy.

"How did your date with Kokomi go, General?" I inquired.

"It all went fine, my lady," she said. "She was... astonishingly beautiful,"

I smiled at her as I gazed out the window. I'm still trying to adjust to this new surroundings. I miss my mother. How is she doing? Is she eating properly and doing well? She must have been devastated by losing me.

"Her Excellency really likes you," she said, drawing my attention to her. I know. "I'm not sure why you're still playing dumb or hard to get,"

I don't want to get in a relationship that fast, getting together with her will put my life on the line. I don't want to die when love is the reason again. But...it's hard, when she's this open to me.