Arc 1: A World of Sand, Chapter 17: Questioning

Zacznij od początku

"Inspector Huang, why did you suddenly think of finding an old man like me to have tea with?" In the director's office, the Chief of Police was holding a teacup in his hand as he took big sips from it. He didn't bother to mention anything about the promotional ad just now.

Huang Ze sat opposite the old director. He smiled and poured himself a cup of tea, then gently pushed it in front of the old director. "I'm here this time mainly to talk to you."

The old director couldn't help but take a deep breath. He closed his eyes, as if he was enjoying the fragrance of the tea, and acted as if he hadn't heard anything at all.

However, Huang Ze didn't get angry at this response. He sat there and waited, and such a wait represented respect.

The time passed so long that the fragrance in the room no longer smelled like tea, and the old man couldn't hold his breath forever. "Young Master Huang, you're too polite, much too polite."

The old director took the teacup and drank it all in one go. He acted so casually, as if the tea he drank was no different than the tea served on the side of the road.

"This is as it should be." Huang Ze filled the old director's teacup again. "Friends from other families wanted to ask you, Uncle Shi, what exactly are your intentions?" Huang Ze didn't even give the old man time to breathe. He was straightforward. "Without your acquiescence, Lin Chen couldn't participate in the investigation of this case. What exactly are your intentions?"

The fact that Huang Ze asked "What exactly are your intentions" twice was, in and of itself, quite interesting.

A person of Huang Ze's stature rarely needed to express his emotions and position through emphatic statements, but he asked the same question twice in a row.

This signified to the old man that he was annoyed, and of course, the reason was because of Lin Chen.

Lin Chen was a small person who had no background or backing. He could be easily squished, like killing an ant. The only reason he was still alive was because if you hated someone, it was best to watch their dreams shatter and have them kneel and beg for mercy like the ant they were.

In the past two years, Lin Chen had lived a very hard life.

Until a few days ago, he had reappeared in their sights again, and insisted on intervening in this case with an unyielding attitude. If there was no acquiescence from the old man, no matter how much the police captain trusted Lin Chen, it would be impossible for a small dorm manager like him to express key opinions for the investigation, let alone with just a few words, convince the TV station to produce a commercial within three hours so they could trap Feng Peilin.

Therefore, the main purpose of Huang Ze's trip was to ask the old man behind all this: What exactly was his intentions?

For an old man like him that could prevent Chen Dong from taking action and have Huang Ze himself appear in person, it meant he himself had some status. His surname was Wu, the Wu that was part of the elite four families, Zhou, Wu, Chen, and Huang.

"Didn't you and Xiao Lin get along quite well before?" Director Wu narrowed his eyes as he tried to dodge the question.

"Uncle Shi, this isn't funny. Among the people who died that night, my own sister was one of them. No matter what, Lin Chen and I can't return to the past." Huang Ze's expression turned gloomy as he responded bluntly to the old man's question.

"Well, if you can't be good friends, how about just regular friends?"

"I won't be friends with a murderer."

"Subjective. That's subjective..."

"Is there a problem with what I said? There have been discrepancies between his confession and the on-site investigation. He has never cleared himself of suspicion so far."