Arc 1: A World of Sand, Chapter 15: Old Affairs

The rain outside was getting stronger. The wind blew the branches and leaves, battering them up against the window, creating desperately knocking sounds. Zhang Xiaolong stopped at the right moment.

Dozens of eyes in the room converged on Lin Chen again.

Those eyes were filled with doubts and consternation, as if questioning why Lin Chen could easily speculate on the relationship between Yu Yanqing and Feng Peilin, making it look as if he was the actual suspect, which only added more awkwardness to the air.

Lin Chen closed his eyes lightly, unmoved.

Fu Hao became angry. He gritted his teeth and tried to speak up but was held back by Xing Conglian.

"It looks like I have to invite Mr. Feng over for a cup of tea, don't you think so, political commissar?" Xing Conglian scratched his beard and tried to pull everyone's attention away from Lin Chen.

The political commissar's face was flushed, but he still pretended to be calm. After a moment of contemplation, he replied, "Yes, Lao Xing."

Xing Conglian stood up, creating a grating sound with his chair. He subconsciously looked towards Lin Chen's direction and wanted to take him with him, but Lin Chen still had his eyes closed.

Huang Ze had put away his notebook. He raised his cold face at a slight angle and said, "Captain Xing, it doesn't seem good to let unrelated people participate in solving the case."

"Mr. Lin has played a key role in the investigation of this case. How can he be considered unrelated?"

After listening to Xing Conglian's response, Huang Ze flipped through his notebook, as if to find some records, then raised his head and asked, "It seems that Professor Fu is the psychology specialist for the police force here, no?"

Xing Conglian was speechless for a moment. He wanted to argue back but saw Lin Chen open his eyes slightly, looked at him, and shook his head.

Fu Hao hurriedly grabbed Xing Conglian and said, "Go, go Lao Xing. We need to arrest someone!"

......

The camphor on the side of the road was blown wildly by the wind as a jeep sped by. Fu Hao was silent. The only sound inside was Xing Conglian stepping on the gas, which made the atmosphere of the car gloomy and anxious.

When they stopped at a red light, Xing Conglian turned his head and said coldly, "Why don't you explain?"

"Explain what?" Fu Hao said.

"Lin Chen is your shixiong, an expert among experts. Why didn't you speak up?"

"That's Huang Ze. If my shixiong doesn't want to speak up, I can't force it!" Xing Conglian's attitude was so rough that it made Fu Hao a little angry, so he shouted his response back.

"What about Huang Ze? Too scared to speak up because he's there?"

"Huang Ze is shixiong's—!"

Fu Hao was about to blurt it out, but when he saw the look on Xing Conglian's face, he suddenly realized that Xing Conglian was fishing for information. "Lao Xing, you old dog!"

Fu Hao bared his teeth in anger.

"Come on, tell me. What happened between Huang Ze and Lin Chen. And what's going on with that person surnamed Chen..." Xing Conglian clicked his tongue as he locked the car. "If you don't make it clear now, don't think about getting out."

When men gossiped, it was indeed more troublesome than women, because they were extremely persistent and had the means.

Fu Hao looked at the traffic light that had changed to green and felt the tense atmosphere he created just now was gone.