Arc 1: A World of Sand, Chapter 16: Invitation

Start from the beginning

Lin Chen raised his head and looked at Xing Conglian and said sincerely, "Thank you."

Xing Conglian shook his head and continued, "Looking out from the window of his desk, I can see your room."

When Lin Chen heard this, he stood still for a moment.

"He's watching me?"

"Should be."

Because of the high fever, the fragments in his mind floated like a montage. The white sand in the sandbox, the eerie market, snow-white sheets, bright red bloodstains; these images were switching frame by frame, making a confusing jumble.

A long time had passed that it was enough to return all the pictures back to the very beginning and long enough that the raindrops on the eaves had all fallen off.

Lin Chen stuffed the evidence bag back into Xing Conglian's hands and took a few steps.

Xing Conglian looked at Lin Chen's back and narrowed his eyes slightly. Lin Chen's appearance showed he was obviously thinking about something but didn't want to say it.

Helpless, he could only speak to Lin Chen's back. Although he didn't want to, he had to pretend to be aggressive. "Yu Yanqing wrote to you, while Feng Peilin watched you every day. I can't ask about your past, but you must be clear about everything that's related to this case."

His words were so straightforward that Lin Chen's footsteps naturally paused. "What does Captain Xing need me to make clear?"

Lin Chen turned around and faced him.

"Do you know Feng Peilin?"

"No?"

"Then why did he leave this letter for you? What exactly does the white sand in the letter mean?"

"Simple. It's because I have a sandbox in my room, and he wanted me to know that all the analysis I had done was nothing more than what he wanted me to see. He's provoking me."

"Why does he want to provoke you?"

"I don't know?"

"You don't know?" Xing Conglian was speechless. "For more than three years, he has been peeping on you every day, planning murders and provoking you, yet you don't know why?"

Xing Conglian's words were mocking. He was ready for Lin Chen to respond unceremoniously, yet Lin Chen turned around slightly and a smile appeared on his face.

It wasn't one of mockery or a sneer, like if he was angry, but a very simple smile, as if the question Xing Conglian just asked was extremely interesting.

"Captain Xing, you may not know this, but in this world, whether they are psychopaths or high-IQ criminals, there are very, many, that want to provoke me. If I care about the motives behind every time this happens, then I should just stop living."

This was a reasonable statement, and it left Xing Conglian dumbfounded.

"Why?" Was all he could say.

"Because I was once really, really famous."

This was a proud statement, but coming from Lin Chen's mouth, there was no boastful implication. Instead, it was more like an honest declaration, so much so that Xing Conglian found it cute.

If he was an ordinary person, he would probably have laughed out loud when he heard such a statement, but Xing Conglian was extraordinary, so he nodded and said solemnly, "I would guess so, seeing as I've never met anyone as smart as you."

Xing Conglian's eyes were beautiful. When he lowered it to stare at Lin Chen, it felt as if those lake-green eyes were as deep as the sea.

After all, this was a man with foreign blood, which gave him a special complementary racial advantage.