Chapter 18

Calix pov

The knob turned and the door slowly creaked open. She stepped out dressed in a white gown with gold embroidery which looked like it was carefully hand sewn. There was a light cast of khol gracefully placed on her eyelids, only enhancing her features. She hesitantly stepped forward, her head to the grown and hands placed in front of her.

Breathe Calix

I cleared my throat and pretended like I wasn't just staring at her. I turned my back and walked ahead without saying anything, trusting that she was walking behind me. I really need to stop acting the way I just did when I'm with her. I don't even know why I have these thoughts about her of all people. I probably hit my head in training. Yes, that is it. I can't even stand being in the same room with her so how can I even think those things about her. She's just so... annoying.

Listening to myself ranting in my head makes me question myself even more.

Am I crazy or am I in denial?

You're in denial

Shut up subconscious. Let's say hypothetically, if I was to even have the slightest attraction to this woman, it's purely physical attraction. No one would ever come close to Dara. Not even her.

"Have you seen my parents?" a voice came from behind me. I'm surprised her short legs managed to keep up with my strides.
"They're probably downstairs with the rest of them" I answered lowly, not quite sure if she heard me.
"Is everything ok?"she asked "you seem a bit off"

"Off ? How so?" I asked as we made our way closer to the staircase.
"I don't know. I can't necessarily pinpoint what's wrong but, by the way you seem to increase your distance every time I inch closer to you or the way you mumble things to yourself and the way you've been avoiding eye contact definitely tells me something's wrong" she voiced openly.

"Have you thought maybe that's because I don't want to be in your presence?" I responded, only this time I looked back at her while responding to her keen observation.

Not letting her continue I quickly walked into the dining room surprised to still see they had not moved from their spot. The princess soon walked in after me with her head to the ground.

"Ahh Princess Rosaline you look lovely" my father preached with a smile. "Thank you, your majesty," she responded and bowed.
Now I'm one to lie out loud and to others' faces but when it's just me and my thoughts, I speak the truth.
She does look lovely. Maybe even more than lovely, beautiful even. The white fabric clings and hugs her every curve, yet it doesn't look like it was made as such. The white cloth swayed easily with the slightest movement that she made.

"Father, this is Princess Rosaline of France. Both the King and Queen are here to handle some business matters and they'll be staying here for a while. I'm sure they are somewhere around the palace. No one knew you were arriving early, otherwise we would have all been here to welcome you."my father exclaimed to his parents.

"And what business are they attending, may I ask?" Grandfather asked no one in particular but we all knew who was to answer the question.
"That's a matter for the king and Queen to disclose. Why don't you head to your room to get some rest. You both have been traveling for a while and I'm sure you're exhausted. Get some rest and I'll be sure to introduce you to them later in the evening" father suggested nervously, his eyes not meeting his father nor his mother.

I know grandfather can be too much sometimes especially in father's presence but I know my father, and he's not one to show his emotions in front of anyone, especially his father.

I do have an idea as to why the king and queen of France are here. As much as I try to ignore it, the more this idea of mine pushes to the surface and I pray that it doesn't happen.

Grandfather nodded yes but his eyes held suspicion. As if he already knew. His eyes turn to me and then to the princess. He definitely knows. He then turned back to his wife and reached out his hands and placed it into hers.
"Let's go darling" he mumbled. Grandmother smiled and followed him out of the room with a maid.

It was only my father, the princess and I left in the room. My father stood in front of us not saying anything. He then waited until they were far enough from the door before speaking up.
" Princess Rosaline, do you know where your parents are?" Father asked asked, this time there was no emotion to his voice. He was back to his old self. His voice held no emotion, no fear, no nervousness.

"No your majesty" she replied, her head to the ground.
"I'm sure they are somewhere in the palace. Send someone to look for them" I suggested in haste, surprising myself.

Father nodded before making his way out of the room leaving us in silence. Neither of us made any move to speak first, which I'm glad. I could think of nothing to say and perhaps so did she. Instead of letting things get even more awkward I too left the room.

I need to focus on other important things rather than trying to find words to speak in front of her and now that my grandparents are here it's going to be a lot harder to see Dara, especially since everyone is preparing for the ball.
On the other hand the princess' parents somehow disappeared. I can't remember the last time I saw them, it was probably with my mother. Come to think of it, mother wasn't there either.

Wherever they are they need to have a good reason as to why they weren't present to great my grandparents. Even my mother.

*****
NEW CHAPTER!!!

It's been a while since I uploaded ik ik and I apologize for taking so long but IM BACKKK. Be sure to vote and leave a comment.

Love yaa❤️❤️❤️❤️