002 WHY

// TRIGGER WARNINGS
- talk of bullying, fighting, darkness

╔══•●•══╗
WHY
╚══•●•══╝

╔══•●•══╗WHY╚══•●•══╝

As human beings, we often ask ourselves, why? As children, we learn about the world by observing and asking 'why.' Usually, by asking 'why,' we open a channel for honest and active communication; this channel connects us to ourselves and the world around us. Through questions, we receive answers, build relationships, and establish meaning. But what happens when questions go unanswered? When there is no explanation, you're constantly left wondering and searching. What happens, then?

This is Mellie and Ben's reality. Their parents, obsessed with the unexplainable, have dragged them up and down the East coast, searching for answers, proof of the inexplicable occurrences that go bump in the night. Unanswered questions are an everyday circumstance for the Thatcher siblings. This lifestyle has taken quite a toll on the two teens, now trapped in Hawkins, Indiana, while their parents research the strange things happening in this once-quiet town.

Their father, Marshall, dove headfirst into his search, passing the Indiana State bar exam and linking up with the Sherrif, Jim Hopper. That is, until his untimely death at Starcourt Mall. What Marshall learned about Hawkins Laboratory from Sherrif Hopper rattled him; these strange events are not demonic at all; they are something else, something treacherous, leaking from a new shadow land parallel to the known world. Or, Marshall questioned, are the demonic and the upside-down linked? Perhaps, the upside down is hell itself?

If Marshall knew one thing for certain, his kids would somehow get involved. As much as those two whine about their paranormal-chasing existence, Mellie and Ben have a knack for winding up smack dab in the center of every damn case. How could they not, after everything that happened to Ginny?

📍Hawkins, Indiana
Hawkins High School
Present Day - March 1986

"I can't believe we have a mandatory pep rally. Do they even have the authority to do that? It's like taking the student body hostage!" Ben groans from the passenger seat. He leans his head against the window, his breath fogging up the glass. Ben loathes high school thus far; the only element that's palatable is his membership in the Hellfire Club.

"Benny, get a grip. It's a rite of passage." Mellie rolls her eyes at her little brother as she pivots her car into the first available spot, gravel dust encompassing the tires in a dense cloud.

"Holy shit, Melanie, you don't have to drive like a maniac to prove a point," Ben exclaims as he yanks open the passenger door. He exits the car with a huff, slamming the door behind him, knowing it will annoy his sister.