Chapter 1

Emily watched the vehicle turn a bend in shock of what happened. She hadn't expected that reaction. The dust had settled, and she could only hear the sounds of nature by the time she stood, dusted off her jeans, and grabbed her bag. She checked her phone and e-reader, and both were fine. She tucked them back into the pocket of her bag, and shouldered it, and turned to head back to hike to the highway. She needed to get cell service before she could call for help.

She was almost to the highway after a few hours of walking when her phone pinged from messages.

She stopped and pulled off her pack and pulled out her phone. For some reason, it had enough signal to connect! Tracy had sent several messages, with the last one realising she must have been out of range was, Let me know when you are back and can tell me about your trip!

Emily started crying, not sure how to deal with it. When I told dad, he tossed me out the door. She sent simply. She didn't need to say anything else, as her friend already knew where she was and what would have happened.

Tracy's reply took a bit before it came in, first with several shocked and sad emojis. Then the messages, I'm sooooo sorry for you! Was the first. I have some people I know in the area, where are you exactly?

Emily sent a pin and described where she was, as she pulled out some snacks, as it was about lunch time.

It took only a couple minutes for the reply to arrive, Kyle is on his way. He's about thirty minutes from you, and he seems to be a big mean man, but he is a nice man and will keep you safe.

Emily put her phone down beside her and put her head on her knees and let herself cry, knowing her parents would never take her back; she wasn't 'Jake' they expected.

*****

She had mostly cried herself out when a large SUV pulled up and stopped near her, and a large man came out and sat near her, "I'm Kyle, you must be Emily." He had been told a little bit of what was happening, and the Alpha had instantly told him to get her and bring her back to the Pack house.

Tracy was a young pup whose parents had preferred her to learn the human life, so lived in the city. After the next school year, she was scheduled to move back to the pack, so she could re-integrate into the wolf's lifestyle. Kyle was one of several enforcers who had kept a discrete watch on her, and while Emily didn't know him, he knew her face, so could easily find her.

Emily nodded, not saying much. While he was a large male, and had seemed scary as he got out, he seemed to now radiate just pure safety as if nothing could happen to her with him there.

"I was sent to take you somewhere safe. Tracy is going to be there in about an hour, so you have someone you know." He told her gently, "When you're ready, we can go." He relaxed a bit, even as his wolf was wanting to find her sire and make sure he couldn't do this to any other pup. He had no issue with the pup being born physically one gender but being another, all pups deserved protection and a safe place to grow and learn. Once she was a wolf, her own wolf would deal with it. He had been told that she didn't know what they were. There was talk about soon needing to come out to the humans publicly, but at this point, they were not known generally.

It took a while before Emily lurched to her feet. By the time she was stood, Kyle had already stood up, and had picked up her pack, it seeming to be as if it was empty from how easily he lifted it.

He opened the front door for her and helped her climb in, before putting her pack in the back. He could see Emily's phone in her hand, so didn't ask to check for it.

Emily heaved a sigh as she belted into the seat, as Kyle walked around the back of the vehicle. She couldn't think about what was going on and why Tracy had a friend in the area to get her this fast. She could still hear her father's denouncing of her, and his abandoning of her.