chapter i. l'énigme du gardien

Start from the beginning

Unbeknownst to [Name], Kaeya already knew that Klee accompanied the traveler and Paimon to search for something. He merely intended to give his young colleague a brief respite, but he wouldn't admit it to her.

He felt a peculiar impulse to take her outside; yet, it could have just been a gut instinct.

"Which reminds me," she said as she abruptly broke the silence. "Where exactly did you leave Klee?"

On their journey to the city's wide entryway, the two were greeted by the bustling sounds of Mondstadt. The majority of them tidying up their stores before closing. As Margaret called for the cats to eat dinner, many of them crowded around her. Donna can also be heard talking to herself as she contemplates over making Moon Pies for the man she adores.

"At Windrise, I think. We were trying to find places to bury her treasure. We eventually split up after she ran ahead of me," the man admitted honestly.

[Name] scowled as she carefully tapped the hydro slime against her palms. Compared to when it was at the Knights of Favonius Headquarters, it is now unusually smaller. "You're lucky she can figure out how to get back here, but it's best to be sure," she said, gazing directly in the direction she was walking.

A smile spread across the Cavalry Captain's face as he came up with an amazing idea.

"I just knew I could count on our reliable Librarian Knight!" Kaeya chuckled and patted [Name] on the shoulder before turning around. "While you do the search at Windrise, I'll go explore throughout the city. Have fun!"

'Wait, what?' The woman was stunned as she attempted to process the duty that she had been given.

"Hey, come back here eye-patch!" Her words failed to register with Kaeya as he makes his way back to the city. "This wasn't what we agreed on...," she muttered defeatedly.

Teyvat's sun was about to set, and the street lights started to come on. [Name] carefully avoided scaring the pigeons as she made her way across the stone bridge.

After successfully avoiding the pigeons, she quickened her pace. It's pointless to try to convince that man to return. I'll just drop this little guy off and head off right away to find Klee.

The female halted to her steps as she saw a crouched figure who appears to be reading something on a worn-out journal.

Hmm, A hydro vision holder. Are they not cold from staying out here?  [Name] thought to herself as she observed the bright object on the person's back.

She called out to them in her usual cheery voice, careful not to shock the unfamiliar person. "Hello there! Are you waiting for someone?"

Wide, pale-green eyes stared at blue ones after being called.

[Namw] looked as astonished as the person did. Her eyes are so bright, and her hair is pulled back in pigtails. How cute!

To avoid gazing too long, the librarian cast a sidelong glance. "I'm sorry for calling you out so suddenly." She quickly recovered from her inner thoughts and spoke to the new female in front of her once more. "What are you doing out here?"

The stranger coughed as she stood up from her hunched position. "It's most certainly alright. In an effort to determine whether I missed anything crucial, I'm trying to read this book again that my master's successor gave to me. As for my disciples, they will return soon."

What nation did she come from?  [Name] wondered. She has never before seen her in the area of Mondstadt. She seems like she could be an astrologer based on her attire, and what's with the huge hat?!

Accidentally dropping the now-tiny hydro slime, [Name] almost forgot she had it on her hands before it leapt its way back to the forest.

Instead of getting down on her knees and making a dramatic cry for the slime to come back, as she would have done if she had wanted to bid it a proper farewell, she did the opposite.

"Why were you so nonchalantly handling a living hydro slime? You do know that they're rowdy, right?" the black-haired stranger enquired anxiously as she turned to face the new acquaintance.

[Name] finally recovered from what happened and picked herself up. "I've been meaning to do some research about its background. My intrusive thoughts advised to take it home with me. I think it'd be better if it just ran off itself, I wouldn't be able to give the attention it needs."

The hydro vision holder hummed and grinned proudly as she put both hands on her hips. "Let me say a few words about myself. I am Astrologist Mona Megistus, also known as "The Great Astrologist Mona," and if divination is what you seek from me, I kindly ask that you respect my name by fully understanding it. And who could you be?"

The knight's eyes sparkled as Mona revealed her profession as an astrologist. She rarely has the opportunity to interact with people who pique her interest. "An honor to meet you. I'm [Full name], a member of the Knights of Favonius. I maintain peace within our headquarter's library as much as I maintain our nation's safety," she introduced with confidence as she mirrors Mona's pose. Her head abruptly fell as a memory flashed into her thoughts. "I don't understand the relevance of my title, though. Other people appear to question how I became a knight after being such a klutz."

Numerous footsteps can be heard in the distance. A familiar hovering pixie with a high-pitched voice called out to you and Mona.

"Mona, we're back with the box! Oh, it looks like you've met our friend as well!" Paimon greeted followed by Lumine.

"Lumine and Paimon, how I missed you both! I didn't know you were both Mona's disciples." [Name] ran up to Lumine while beaming brightly as she joyously embraced her. The glowing yellow on the traveler's clothing reveals to her that Lumine has finally obtained the power of Geo.

The astrologist made the worn out diary hover in front of her as she quickly flipped over the pages once more to see if she missed anything. To her disappointment, the pages remain unhelpful. It's up to the items in the box to bring her good fortune.

Crossing her arms, Mona faced the traveler. "You're back at last. Thanks to miss knight here, the wait wasn't as exceedingly dull. This book was just some ridiculous diary. Nothing of note in it at all."

She has already let go of Lumine's embrace and is now playfully fussing with her [hair color] locks, relieved that Mona seemed to appreciate her company. She would be lying if she claimed that she has no interest in knowing what information they are after. Perhaps she can suggest some books from the library.

Wait, I'm supposed to be looking for Klee! The female internally panicked as she noticed the sky getting dark by the minute. "Paimon, Traveler. Did you happen to cross paths with Klee on your way here?"

A tiny giggle erupted behind the duo. With what looks to be a box in her hand, Klee appeared from Lumine's back looking innocent as if she hadn't just bombed a large dendro slime. "We're back with the box, Mona. It's in perfect shape!" Klee exclaimed while jumping up and down.

Eyes widened, [Name] stepped closer next to the spark knight. "Klee! I'm glad you're with the Traveler and Paimon, you almost gave Kaeya and I a heart attack." Despite looking relieved, she crossed her arms out of worry.

"Klee is sorry for running ahead of Mister Kaeya, but Klee is a big girl now!" The younger blonde exclaimed earnestly. She sprinted over to Mona to give her the box.

If Master Jean discovers Klee playing with her bombs once more, Klee will most certainly be sent in solitary confinement. She pondered as she stared at the child's carefree expression.

"Splendid work— Wait a moment..." The astrologist paused as she lifted the lightweight wooden box. "W-Why isn't it locked?! And why is it empty?!"