Chapter Eleven | Heir to the Driftwood Throne

Bright the next day, everyone was gathered in the throne room, but like every time they are together everyone was divided in groups.

There was Vaehmond Velaryon who stood off to one side of the throne room, standing confidently as he waited for the trial to begin.

Across from him on the other side was Rhaenyra and her children, along with Daemon and Rhaenys stood far behind, keeping a low profile at the moment.

The third group was that of Alicent, Viserra, Aemond, Naella, Helaena and Aegon, who were all bunched together.

Off to the side but closer to Naella was Aenor who didn't know truly where to stand in this division of a family, but choosing to be closest to his daughter.

He would always choose his daughter.

Otto stood on the steps that led to the Iron throne, as they were going to be judging the trial.

Viserra noticed as Naella backed softly into Aemond as she caught eyes with Lucerys, Aemond holding onto the girl and rubbing her hands with his as he let her stand slightly behind him, using him as a shield to protect her from her enemies.

"Though it is the great hope of this court that Lord Corly's Velaryon survives his wounds, we gather here with a grip task of dealing with the succession of Driftmark", Otto began to speak, quietening everyone in the room as the trial began. "As the hand, I speak with the Kings voice on this and all other matters."

With that Otto then proceeded to sit down on the Iron throne. "The crown will know bear the petitions. Ser Vaehmond of House Velaryon."

Wandering from the sea of people, Vaehmond walked forward, standing right before the Iron Throne, looking to Alicent. "My Queen", he bowed before then turning to Otto. "My Lord Hand."

It was then that the trial truly began as the pleasantries were over and Vaehmond began his story.

"The history of our noble houses extends beyond the Seven Kingdoms to the days of Old Valyria. For as long as House Targaryen has ruled the skies, House Velaryon has ruled the seas. When the Doom fell on Valyria, our houses became the last of their kind. Our four bearers came to this new land, knowing that were they to fail, it would mean the end to their bloodlines and to their name."

Viserra shared a bored look with Aegon, maybe the only thing the two have ever shared in common, they came for a trial, not to be bored by a history lesson.

"I have spent my entire life on Driftmark, defending my brother's seat. I am Lord Corlys' closest kin, his own blood. The true, unimpeachable blood of House Velaryon runs through my veins."

Now things were getting interesting as Lord Vaehmond was trying to tell the whole of Court that Rhaenyras children were bastards without really saying it.

"As it does in my sons, the offspring of Laenor Velaryon." Rhaenyra butted in, though  Vaemond did acknowledge her by looking towards her in respect as he listened to her. "If you cared so much about your house's blood, Ser Vaemond, you would not be as bold to supplant its rightful heir. No, you only speak for yourself and your own ambition."

"You will have your chance to make your own petition, Princess Rhaenyra", Alicent butted in from where she was, following the trial properly in the faith of the seven.  "Do Ser Vaemond the courtesy of allowing his to be heard."

Vaehmond turned to Rhaenyra for the first time since he showed up looking at her with a smug grin.

"What do you know about Velaryon blood, Princess. I could cut my veins and show it to you and you still wouldn't recognize it." He spoke with malice.