Chapter 1: The Informant

Start from the beginning

·:*¨༺ ★ ༻¨*:·.

The old general laughed from his belly as his nephew introduced him to the newest addition to their ship and recounted their haggling session. This girl from the Water Tribes, Miyuki, would go far in life with her knack for words. "Nephew, has anyone ever told you your bargaining skills need work?"

The young prince grumbled a response and the girl's smile looked more like a confident smirk as her eyes glinted cunningly. "Rest assured, I intend to prove that I'm well worth the price, down to the very last copper piece." She folded her arms as her chin raised a degree. The very picture of confidence. "You won't be disappointed."

Iroh smiled. "It's always admirable to see someone so young bursting with such well-founded self-confidence."

Her expression quickly shifted into a polite smile as she ducked into a graceful bow. "I'm honored to receive such commendation from the famed General Iroh. It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance."

He hummed. "You're well informed."

"I hear you're a big fan of Pai sho." Her gaze was unwavering as she intentionally avoided acknowledging the statement.

He couldn't help but laugh again at the show of her knowledge. "Very well informed, I see. Would you care to join me for a game?"

She ducked into a polite bow once more. "If you could spare me the time, it would be a great honor."

Zuko left as the old general produced a board and the two took opposing seats. The faint clacking of the exchange of pieces was the only thing that filled the air between them for a moment before the young woman commented quietly, "Despite your kind words, you don't seem very happy that I'm here."

As the old general shook his head, the friendly smile fell from his face, and in its place came a stare as serious as his tone. "Do you really want to know?"

Her voice was light and airy in response, as though it could go one way or another, and neither outcome would bother her. "There's no need to spare my feelings, I'm always looking to improve."

Her eyes glinted once more like the flash of a knife and he motioned to the board for her to take the first move. "Ladies first."

"Let's get right to it then, shall we?" she asked as she moved a tile rather decisively. A bold move. "I'm not one to beat around the bush with someone who typically plays the same game as me, especially with someone as skilled as yourself. For the sake of time, I think it would be much better for both of us to get this over with as soon as possible instead of dancing circles around the topic for weeks on end. Wouldn't you agree?"

"An efficient move," he praised. "Why are you doing this?" he asked before taking his turn.

"I have nothing else to do." Her eyes scanned the board. "I'm an orphaned child of the Northern Water Tribe. No parents, no spouse. Top it off with a strict, misogynist culture, and there you have it— absolutely nothing. There was nothing left for me there, so I moved on." She waved her hand dismissively before taking her turn.

He took his turn without hesitation. "But why this job?"

"If you're talking about being an informant, I'm good at it and there's a decent enough demand. That's all." She shrugged. "As for this particular request, I need the money and it's not as though there are many inquiries that are quite as lucrative. With the sum that I've collected for this request, I'll be able to feed myself for months, get more supplies, and meet more people to expand my network as we travel." She smiled a little as she placed her piece on the board with a satisfying clack. "Plus, it's far more engaging than tracking down lost pets, potential spouses, and proof of cheating lovers and the like for pocket change."

"You joined us rather abruptly. Are you sure that you made the right decision?"

"No, of course not." She shook her head as she replied without missing a beat. "But when can anyone ever be certain that they've made the right decision?"

He laughed fully for the first time since the smile dropped from his face at the beginning of their match. This young woman was as sharp as she was bold, he would give her that much. "That's very true." 

"Have I cleared your suspicions?"

"Time will tell."

"Fair enough." She hummed agreeably as she feigned pondering her next move. "Your nephew seems lonely, by the way."

"You're very perceptive if you can tell from just a glance."

"It's not a very large leap to make based on his demeanor and the way that the crew reacts to him."

He sipped his tea and hummed as the girl took her time thinking about her next move. "My nephew is rough on the outside, but..." He smiled. More likely than not, she would find out for herself.

"I see. Well, I should warn you that I'm still a bit of a novice, but I do intend to give it my all," she declared before finally moving a piece. The second meaning behind her words was clear enough to him, but not entirely obvious. She was good at picking her words, and it spoke to just how much attention she paid to the finer points in life. It would be rude not to return in suit.

"It takes practice, but I'm sure you're much better than you say you are." He laughed heartily.

The shine in her eyes made it clear that his underlying message in response did not go unnoticed. "You flatter me."

As he thought, this young informant who took his nephew's breath away could play quite the role in the young man's life.