Chapter 2

River's End, Pennsylvania - December 7, 1941

After church, Scarlett had wandered around town, trying to think about what to do for Christmas. Her and Steve's first Christmas as husband and wife was going to be hard. Still, she promised to make the best of it. Given that he was assigned to a battleship, she knew that he didn't have much in the way of storage space.So, she decided to get him something...memorable. 

A pair of brand new underwear, and a few photos later, she had stuffed them in an envelope, ready to be mailed tomorrow. Sitting at his apartment, curled up with a good book, and a pot of water getting ready to boil for tea, she had felt content. She thought about putting the tree up that she had dragged from their closet, but thought it was better to wait for next weekend. 

She jumps when there's a rapid pounding on the door. She didn't even have time to get off the chair when another series of pounding echoes; like someone is desperate to come in. A big bad wolf, maybe. Scarlett checks the peephole, just as her sister pounds on the door once again. 

Scarlett pulls the door open. (What's going on?) She signs. (Is everything OK?)

(Is the radio on?)

(No. Should it be?)

(It's all over! I'm surprised our parents haven't called you yet.) Her sister turns the radio on, finding a local news station on the dial. (What are they talking about?)

"-has ben confirmed. The naval station in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii has, in fact, been attacked by the Japanese. Casualty figures are still coming in, but we can tell you that the devastation has been unimaginable. What we know for certain is that the Arizona has been sunk with the rest of the battleships sunk, or capsized."

Scarlett couldn't believe what she was hearing. What the rest of the reporter had to say just faded away. Scarlett collapses into a chair. Her world completely shattered. Sunk, or capsized? Is that where Steve was? At the bottom of the harbor, fighting for his life? Laid up in a hospital somewhere? Trapped on the ship, praying for someone to find him? All kinds of horrific images flood into her mind. 

(Listen to me, Claire. He's alive. I promise.) Even as Scarlett declares it, not even she is sure if she believes it. 

For the next couple days, all Scarlett did was alternate between uncertain despair and desperate hope. All the newspapers talked about was the surprise attack that left a few thousand dead, and multiple ships destroyed. Including the Utah, which had capsized after torpedo hits. Scarlett prayed and prayed that Steve had been somewhere safe. Which certainly wouldn't be the case.

Since that day, Claire had stayed with Scarlett, taking care of her. Cooking, cleaning, even staying up late, "reading" some of Scarlett's favorite books to her using sign language. Something they had enjoyed as kids when Claire first discovered signing. It brought a small smile to Scarlett's face, which was a nice break from the crying. 

Since she couldn't hear anyone knocking on the door, she always kept an eye on the window. Which proved useful when a couple days later, as Scarlett was napping, Claire noticed a pair of men in uniform coming to the door. She opened it, greeted by an Army officer and a chaplain. The officer says something to her. (I'm deaf.) She reflexively signs. Of course, he doesn't understand her either. 

She grabs a small notepad from the drawer of an end table with a pencil, and hands it to the officer. He scribbles something on it. "Scarlett Franks?"

She waves them inside, out of the biting cold. "My sister. Wait here." She writes, heading upstairs. She gently shakes Scarlett's shoulder. Scarlett stirs. (What is it?)

Claire purses her lips. (There's someone downstairs to see you. It's...it's about Steve.)

Scarlett knew. Already, instinctively, she knew. She didn't have to be told. Pulling on a thick robe, she makes her way down the hall. Her legs feel like lead, and she has to will them to move. When she mindlessly takes the envelope from the Army officer, whispering "thank you", and listening to his nonsense about Steve's sacrifice to a grateful nation. 

They leave quietly, leaving Scarlett completely shellshocked. She just stares off into space as Claire does what she can to comfort her. A couple hours pass, and Scarlett seems to have collected herself, or just enough. She heads back to her bedroom, and gets dressed. (I need some time alone.)

(I'm not leaving you alone.)

(Please, Claire, I need this.)

Scarlett heads out in the cold. She wraps a scarf around her face to keep the wind away. She makes her way to the center of town. There, a cathedral. The oldest establishment in town. She enters the stone sanctuary. The ancient interior is entirely lit by candles. Those hanging on the walls, and those in the display stands lit by those who lost someone. 

Covering the walls are paintings vividly depicting various saints, angels, and famous scenes from the Bible. In the low light, Scarlett swears the paintings are moving slightly. Even as a child, she thought that the eyes of the people depicted would follow her around the room. Now, as an adult, she still isn't completely sure one way or the other. 

She isn't too surprised that there are so many candles lit. The sanctuary is about half full. those praying for the dead. Those praying for the living. Those praying for everyone else. Scarlett lights a candle, silently praying for Steve's soul. She takes a seat in a pew, watching the candle burn. She doesn't take her eyes off of it even when the pew creaks next to her as someone sits down. 

After a few minutes, the other person still hasn't moved, so Scarlett turns to look. (I should've known you'd follow me here.)

(Great minds think alike. I just wanted to make sure you're OK. How do you feel?)

Scarlett can't help but be moved by Claire's compassion. She hugs Claire tightly. (A little better. Thank you. I really appreciate it.)

(What's a twin sister for? And you're welcome.)

Holding Claire's hand, Scarlett turns her attention back to the tiny flame. An older couple lights a candle, then a young woman with an infant. Families. Spouses. Siblings. Children. Pearl Harbor had touched them all in a profound way. How many more would be lost before all this was over? How many more families would have to sacrifice? (What do we do now?) She asks. 

(I don't know. I do know this though: we pick ourselves up and keep going. We do so not because we want to but because we have to. Otherwise, they've already won, and this war will be over before its even begun.)

They sit together in silence. Scarlett adjusts the wedding ring on her finger. She knew she wanted to do something. She prayed that the answer would come to her. She knew that the war wasn't going to be over any time soon. She also knew that she wanted to find her place in it.