𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐄𝐥𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

Start from the beginning

Blaire paused for a moment, and I could hear muffled voices in the background. One of the voices sounded like Romeo's laugh. His soft laugh is adorable. He turns five in two months. He's shown curiosity about learning to play the guitar like Greyson. Romeo skypes Greyson and listens to him play his music or write songs. Romeo's sister Islana is two years younger than him but already Greyson's girl. She's always excited whenever she visits us in Boston. She and Romeo would run into our apartment with big smiles.

I felt pulled out of my thoughts as Blaire confessed, "I need a small favor. Hestia's flight was delayed, and I'd rather the kids stay at your apartment instead of waiting here at this crappy airport." I chuckled and reassured her, "That's alright. Do you have a car?"

"Yes. Roman got us a car. We'll be at your apartment in half an hour. Thank you, Rea. Truthfully, you ad Greyson are lifesavers."

I told her, "Blaire, we love you. I just got out of the shower, so I'll see you when you get here." Blaire mumbled before hanging up, "Oh my god, I'm sorry. I'll see you soon." Once the phone hung up, I went back into the bathroom and finished drying my hair. After my hair was completed, I did my skincare routine. I spent fifteen minutes in the bathroom, then pulled out the Christmas presents from the spare bedroom. I heard the soft sound of the cat Greyson adopted for me four years ago. Our best friend Riz named her after herself. She's an all-black cat who adores sleeping on the bed with Greyson and me. She follows me everywhere I go. And her soft meows are beyond adorable.

I lifted Riz into my arms and sat on the edge of the bed. I gently pet her. It feels like yesterday I came home to Greyson. Surprising me with her in his arms. I smiled and muttered, "Merry Christmas, Riz." I placed her on the bed and pulled the bag filled with gifts out of the closet. I carried the presents out into the living room. I put them under the tree, and Riz cuddled up by my side and sat on my lap. I leaned back on the wooden floor and stared up at the ceiling.

It's been almost an hour since Blaire called. I heard a light knocking on the front door. Riz quickly got up from my lap and sprinted to the door. She started meowing. I could hear muffled voices outside the door. I stood up and approached the door, and opened it. Islana was in Blaire's arms, and Romeo jumped into mine. He had a smile glued across his face. He shouted, "Auntie." I smirked and replied, "Romeo. How's my favorite nephew?"

He chuckled, "I'm your only nephew." Islana was passed out in Blaire's arms. Blaire mouthed, "Thank you." I closed the door behind Blaire as she laid Islana down on the sofa in front of the Christmas tree. Romeo's eyes widened as he glanced at the presents under the tree. I let him down, and he sprinted to the tree with his reindeer pajamas on. Romeo glanced at me and asked, "Where's uncle Greyson?"

I stood behind the sofa and folded my arms. I answered, "He's out for a bit, but he'll be back soon. I promise." Romeo's smile widened. He shifted his eyes to Blaire. He questioned, "Mommy, when can I open my presents?"

Blaire sat next to Islana and responded, "Once everyone is here. Sia's flight was delayed, so daddy's waiting at the airport for her." I glanced at Blaire and admitted, "He's your son. He has your eyes."

She chuckled, "Roman says that every day. I'm starting to see it the more Romeo grows up." I giggled and sat next to Romeo until everyone arrived. Blaire began cooking in the kitchen. She and Hestia plan on making a special meal for us. While Blaire was in the kitchen, I heard my phone ring. I went into the bedroom and heard Riz Ali's voice answer, "Astraea?"

"Yes?"

"Is it alright if I still come down for Christmas? Axel came home early this year for the holidays. Hopefully, there's still room for us."

I chuckled and sat on the edge of the bed. Riz started dating a guy named Axel. She met him during her trip to Egypt three years ago. Last year he proposed, and after their wedding this year, their daughter Zahra was born. I'm beyond happy for Riz. This is her daughter's first Christmas. I reassured Riz, "There's always room for you. We're excited to see you both and little Zahra." I heard Riz lightly chuckle, "The last couple of months have been difficult, but we're managing. We're excited to see you and Greyson. It's been too long."