Yule Ball [Romione]

Start from the beginning

"It was his fault I wouldn't talk to him!"

"He sends you about double the amount of letters than he does to Harry on holidays-"

"That's got to be because Harry's aunt and uncle would get mad with an owl flying in and out all the time!"

"He told me to give you your two Sickles for your spew thing-"

"Society for the Promotion of Elfish Welfare! S - P - E - W! Not 'spew'. And he doesn't really care about that, I can tell."

"Well, he cares about you enough to try and make you a little happy by helping your society! And after your first year, he was literally praising you so much - I once listened to a five minute rant about how smart you were, and how much he loves your hair. And after your second year about how you solved the entire mystery!"

They walked into the library. "Well, ok, but I still don't think that's really concrete evidence-" Madam Pince, the Hogwarts librarian, shushed her aggressively as they found seats at an available table. She lowered her voice to a whisper, "and even if it is, he's still not going to ask me. He's daft like that - I'm positive he has no idea I want to go with him."

Ginny looked at her disbelievingly, "Really, Mione? Start dropping hints, then! Ask him yourself!"

"No! Are you crazy?"

"Probably, but that's not the point here," she whispered. "Honestly, one of these days I'm just going to lock you both in a broom cupboard for however long it takes for you to start snogging."

Hermione blushed. "You wouldn't!"

"I definitely would."

"She definitely would." Fred said, approaching their table with George.

George backed up his twin. "We don't know what it is, but, knowing my little sister, she definitely would."

Fred continued, "Speaking of younger siblings, do either of you know where dear Ronald is?"

"Probably in the common room. Why? And why are you two in the library?" Ginny asked suspiciously.

"He's got a letter from Charlie," George said, holding out a rolled up piece of parchment.

Fred answered Ginny's other question. "That, my dear sister, is something for us to know and you to find out. I'd suggest being out of the library by 5."

Hermione reached out a hand, "I'll give it to him. Saw him write the original letter."

George gave it to her. "Thanks. See you around." He saluted them, and the twins walked away, laughing conspiratorially.

Ginny waved at them. She turned to Hermione, opening her mouth to speak. "Anyway, ask him! Or something. Anything. I'm placing a bet. 5 Knuts that he'll ask you to the ball. Or that you'll ask him."

"Fine! He's not going to ask me, so get ready to pay up."

Ginny raised an eyebrow. "I don't make bets I won't win."

-----

Hermione Jean Granger was the most studious person Ron had ever known. There she was, her head bent over a book in the empty common room, the cold night air drifting in steadily through an open window. She impatiently pushed away the hair which was falling in front of her face. The light of the dying fire flickered on the walls, casting a warm glow over the whole place.

Ron walked over, and his heart skipped a beat when she turned to look at him, fire melting her brown eyes into something like liquid gold. "Sorry for disturbing you," he whispered. "You need to take a break, though. And probably go to bed."