"...Kessa (Yes)" Daemon replied, surprised when he saw the relief growing on Melisandre's face.

"Sȳz. Kessa jorrāelagon ao isse se jēdri naejot māzigon (Good. She will need you in the years to come)" Melisandre told him, as Daemon shook his head, in disbelief.

"And you? Does she not need her mother by her side?" Daemon retorted, angrily.

"When we agree to wear these robes, we forgo all that we could have been. A daughter, a friend, a lover...even a mother. I am afraid my daughter does not seem to realise that yet" Melisandre exclaimed.

"Kiana is far more than a Red Priestess" Daemon stated.

"That she is. Ever since she was a child, the Lord shone his light on her. Allowing her to see what was to come in the flames and even the gift of fire itself. Have you never wondered why that is, my Prince?" Melisandre inquired, making Daemon frown.

"She's strong. Stronger than most" Daemon suggested, as Melisandre nodded slowly.

"Of course. I have seen that in her since I first held her in my arms. And I have done what I could to grow that fire in her—" Melisandre was cut off, by a familiar voice, as Daemon twisted around to find Kinvara and Meira approaching them.

"Melisandre. Ēza issare tolī bōsa (It has been too long)" Kinvara greeted, as Melisandre gave her a smile that did not meet her eyes.

"Ao vestragon daor iā tubis uēpkta (You seem not a day older)" Melisandre replied, her eyes flickering to the large ruby red hexagonal necklace that Kinvara wore.

"Māzigon, mandia (Come, sister)" Kinvara insisted, holding a hand out to Melisandre, ushering her away from the crowds.

Kiana seemed to let out an audible sigh of relief that moment her mother was whisked away as if a weight had been taken off her shoulders. She still felt the childish need to please Melisandre, to feel her love, even after all these years. Daemon reached up to cup her cheek, tilting her head up to look at him, seeing the conflict on her features.

"I can make her leave, Little Flame. If that is what you wish" Daemon suggested, as Kiana shook her head.

"She is the only family I have ever known, Daemon. I loved her. She was good to me when I was a child. Attentive, loving...but as my gifts grew, so did the rift between us. She no longer treated me as her daughter. She thought her love was a distraction, so...she left" Kiana sighed, sadly.

"Then she is a fool. And I will not make the same mistake" Daemon stated, firmly.

Just as she opened her mouth to question him, he was pulling something out of the belt he wore over his hips. Kiana's eyes narrowed as she saw it was a jewel-encrusted dagger sheath, rubies glistening in the candlelight of the hall. He took her hand in his, removing the dagger from the sheath and placing the sharp blade on her palm. Kiana's mouth went slack as she realised it was no ordinary dagger, far lighter and sharper than any steel she had ever felt. As Kiana looked closer she could see the distinctive ripple pattern in the metal, which caused it to be almost unbreakable.

"I had it made for you after our victory in the Stepstones" Daemon confessed, as she ran a finger over the blade, eyes wide with amazement.

"It's beautiful" She murmured.

"I thought it a more suitable betrothal gift than a necklace," Daemon told her, as Kiana's eyes darted up to his.

"Daemon..." Kiana trailed off, as he raised his hand up, his thumb brushing against her bottom lip, stopping her words.