Beyond the Wall

Ten years.

It had been ten long years since Kiana had seen her mother. She could barely remember what she looked like, or how it felt to be in the presence of one's family. As she looked into Melisandre's light blue eyes, she realised it was like looking at a stranger. Someone she knew long ago. Someone who had never cared enough.

"Ñuha tala (My daughter)" Melisandre smiled, reaching out to touch her child's face, taken aback when she saw how Kiana flinched.

"Skoro syt emagon ao māzigon? (Why have you come?)" Kiana questioned, bluntly.

"Nyke jeldan naejot ūndegon ao (I wanted to see you)" Melisandre replied, as Kiana have to bite down the scoff that threatened to leave her lips.

"Gaomagon ao pendagon nyke sīr doru-borto naejot pāsagon bona? (Do you think me so foolish to believe that?)" Kiana muttered, as Melisandre pursed her lips.

"You always were too smart for your own good, Kiana. I see that has not changed" Melisandre stated.

"Something you would know well if you had not abandoned me" Kiana retorted, causing her mother to let out a long sigh.

"You had a higher purpose. One you have served well" Melisandre pointed out.

"And what of your purpose, my Lady? Is it not a mother's duty to care for their daughter?" Daemon interjected, still standing close to Kiana's side, not being able to hold his tongue any longer.

Kiana may have not spoken of her mother to him, but he was beginning to see why. He had heard tales of the Red Priestess Melisandre...she was said to be even more fanatical than Kinvara. He remembered one rumour in particular of how she had set fire to a temple of the Seven, how she had smiled as she heard their screams echo through the halls. There was something in the woman's eyes that made him think that rumour was the truth.

"Spoken by a man without children" Melisandre exclaimed, her gaze moving to the Targaryen.

"A Prince. One who you should not wish to cross, my Lady" Daemon retorted, the threat laced into his words.

"Ah. Prince Daemon, I take it? I have heard stories of your arrogance, it seems they were not unfounded" Melisandre mumbled, as Daemon let out a harsh laugh.

"Mother. You are no longer in Volantis. Daemon is of royal blood, dragon blood...you should treat him with respect" Kiana pushed, as Melisandre's eyes narrowed.

Her eyes flickered down to where Daemon's hand still lay on the small of Kiana's back, a warm presence to anchor her. She saw how her daughter leaned into his touch, keeping her face impassive. She had heard much of Prince Daemon, and his endearment toward Kiana, leading her away from the Lord of Light, time and time again.

"I wish to speak to the High Priestess. We have much to discuss. If you would fetch her, Kiana?" Melisandre asked, as Kiana's eyes darted to Daemon's for a moment, who gave a subtle nod.

"Of course, mother" Kiana muttered, with a roll of her eyes, bringing a fond smile to Daemon's lips.

Daemon watched as she flittered through the crowds, making her way over to Kinvara's table, where the older woman was already eagerly awaiting. Daemon turned back to Melisandre, tilting his head as he waited for whatever the Red Priestess had to say to him.

"Gaomagon ao jorrāelagon zirȳla? (Do you love her?)" Melisandre inquired, managing to do the impossible and catch Daemon off guard.

Daemon's brow furrowed as he mulled over her words, not sure how to reply. He knew the truth. He had for a while now, but whether he admit it to the stranger in front of him was another question altogether.