The Nina Project (Part 2)

The car stopped in front of an old house that looked like it would fall apart the second someone would step in it.

As the group got out of the car, Nikki took Lucas's hand as they both waited for the others to join them.

"Yeah, that's not creepy," Steve said, looking up at the big house.

Steve led the way to the door, where a slab of wood got in their way of getting in the house.

"What exactly are we supposed to be looking for in this shithole?" Steve asked as he and Nancy removed each nail one by one from the piece of wood with hammers.

"We're not sure," Nancy replied as she got another nail out. "We just know this house is important to Vecna."

"Because Max saw it in Vecna's red soup mind world," Steve said with a raised eyebrow. Nikki looked over at Max to notice the girl's face falter from her confident look.

"Basically."

"Great."

Nikki let go of Lucas's hand to go stand by Max and gave her a reassuring smile before linking arms with the girl to let her know that she was on her side.

"Maybe it holds a clue to where Vecna is. Why he's back. Why he killed the Creels. And how to stop him before he comes back for Max," Dustin rambled as Nikki nodded.

"Any sort of hint towards anything could lead to something big," Nikki looked at Dustin how gave her a nod and smile.

"We don't think he's in here," Lucas wondered out loud, looking at Nikki. "Do we?"

Nikki stayed quiet for a second, trying to see if her mind was trying to tell her something. She felt fine mostly, but in the back of her head she felt a little bit fuzzy. Whatever that meant, it threw her off, so all she could do was shrug. "Guess we'll find out."

Steve and Nancy took out the last of the nails and let the wood fall to the floor with a loud crash. Behind the wood stood a door with a glass window.

Steve tried the door handle, only for the door to refuse to budge. "It's locked. Should I knock, see if anybody's home?"

"Don't bother, I've got it," Nikki said leaving the porch to get to the walkway.

Lucas turned worried quickly. "But you can't use your pow-"

He was interrupted with Nikki throwing a rock through the window of the door, cause the glass to break and Nikki to look proud of herself.

After many swears were yelled and muttered, the group looked at Nikki like she was crazy.

"What?" Nikki asked at their glares before shrugging, "I found a key."

Steve sighed as he reached his arm through the window and opened the door from the inside as both Dustin and Robin were laughing at Nikki's antics.

They entered the house with flashlights in hand as Lucas tried to turn on the nearest lamp without any luck. "Looks like someone forgot to pay their electric bill."

Dustin turned on his flashlight causing Steve to look at everyone else, realizing he was the only one without one. "Where'd everyone get those?"

"Do you need to be told everything?" Dustin looked at him shocked that he didn't think of bringing one. "You're not a child. Even Nikki brought her own and she has only been around here for a little while."

"Uh, this isn't mine," Nikki held up the flashlight in her hands. "This is Lucas's spare one."

"Still," Dustin said, shrugging off his backpack and handing it over to Steve. "Back pocket."