"Hi Xavier."

He nodded her head while looking her in the eye, not sure what he needed to say now that she was looking straight at him.

"Ready to lose?" she asked instead, trying to fill the silence. 

"Are you sure we're going to lose?"

He was stepping even closer, as if a spell was lifted from him and his shy demeanor was switched with confidence. The girl had to look up at him now, she could again feel his breath fanning her face and her ears burn from the feeling. 

"I am yeah," her own confidence was activated by his bold moves. She had also stepped closer to him, reaching up to wrap her arms around his neck standing on her tippytoes to still look him in the eyes. "Maybe you need to stop underestimating me."

As she was speaking his arms snaked around her waist, he was pulling her even closer. Thanks to the face paint on his cheeks she couldn't see his blush, which he was more than thankful for. His eyes had travelled down to her lips once more when she spoke at first not even comprehending her words.

"I would never," he wanted it to sound confident but it came out like breathy whisper. And he was almost going to do it, when their eyes met again, her arms still around his neck, his still holding her close but two voices pulled them apart.

"Daisy-" "Xavier-" "It's about to start!"

Both Ajax and Enid were standing there shouting for their teammates to come along, but when they saw the position they were in they both smirked. 

"Sorry to interrupt-"

"You didn't!" Daisy was quick to free herself from his hold and walked off behind Enid who was asking her thousands of questions at full speed. 

"I so interrupted something."

"Yeah you did man." Xavier was very annoyed but at the same time he was pretty relieved, he didn't know if he would've done it, and if he did he was only scared of her reaction. 

The teams were finally, all present, and in their canoes. Just for their luck, the Black Cats were in between the Jokers and the Gold Bugs. With other words in between the boys and Bianca's group. 

"What do we have here? The runt of the litter." Bianca said getting both Daisy's and Wednesday's attention.

"For the record, I don't believe I'm better than everyone else."

"Just that we're better than you," Daisy filled in her sentence, smirking at the Siren as her eyes widened. She held out her hand to Wednesday who was seated behind her, she didn't really expect anything but was pleasantly surprised when the gothic girl slapped her hand against hers. 

She was herself to surprised, and content, with her highfive she hadn't seen Xavier smirk at them from his own canoe. 

"I want to welcome you all to the Edgar Allan Poe Cup. This is one of Nevermore's proudest annual traditions, dating back 125 years. Each team must row across to Raven Island, pull a flag from Crackstone's Crypt, and hustle back without sinking or being sunk. First team to cross the finish line with their flag wins the cup and bragging rights for a year, as well as some special privileges. Let the Poe Cup begin!"