"'Could've sworn' what?" Biana prompted when he didn't finish. 

"I could've sworn I sensed Foster's intense emotions. But I can't see her anywhere." 

"Maybe you just missed her?" she suggested, pursing her lips in concern. 

"I doubt it. She's weak, remember? Why would she be all the way down here?" 

"What emotions did you sense?" This time, it was Fitz that spoke. 

"...Anger. Rage. Revenge." 

"Revenge?" Biana asked, "What would Sophie need revenge for?" 

"Maybe getting kidnapped and drugged?" Fitz tried, his tone sharp and annoyed. 

"Keefe," Biana urged, "This is important. If it was Sophie, we have to find her. We can't take any risks." 

After a couple moments of hesitation, Keefe nodded.

"Fine. You use your vanish abilities and search for her. In case the Neverseen have her hidden-- we don't want them to see you and run away." 

"I'll scan the area for familiar thoughts," Fitz chimed in, and Keefe nodded. 

"I'll also play a game of 'hot n' cold'. Wait until I sense her emotions."

//

Sophie POV

An uneasy feeling washed over Sophie as she and Alvar walked. As though she were being watched. 

"What's wrong?" Alvar asked when Sophie tugged out an eyelash. 

"I'm sensing something. It's weird. Like..." she trailed off, failing to find the right words to explain.

"What is it?" Alvar asked. Sophie opened her mouth to answer when something happened that made her freeze.

A hand

Sophie turned around, thankful for her disguise as she looked to see who had grabbed her. Alvar turned, too. And she didn't miss his tiny gasp as they locked eyes with the figure. 

A pair of teal eyes stared back. 

A word echoed in the back of her mind.

Fitz

Sophie yanked her arm away, backing towards Alvar for protection. Who was this kid? What did he want? She waited for him to turn away. Apologize and say it was a mistake. But he never did. Instead, he just stared at her with confused, hopeless eyes. 

"Who are you?" Sophie demanded, noticing the way Alvar tensed beside her. But the boy didn't answer. Instead, he continued right on staring. Focusing in on her eyes. Luckily, they weren't brown. 

And luckily, the boy wouldn't recognize her thanks to their disguises. 

But still. He scared Sophie. More than she wanted to admit. There was something about him. Something that made Sophie feel somewhat connected to him. In an eerie way. 

"Who are you?" she asked again, waving a hand in front of his face to draw him back to reality. It worked. He flinched, taking a couple steps back. 

"My sister's asking you a question," Alvar said beside her, and Sophie breathed a sigh of relief. He was good at staying in character. 

"Sorry," the boy cleared his throat, "I didn't mean to scare you. I'm looking for someone."

"And you thought I was that someone?" Sophie asked, raising an eyebrow. Alvar placed a hand on her shoulder, and Sophie backed down. She trusted Alvar. With her life. So, if he wanted her to calm down, it was because she was becoming too reckless.