Chapter 2

"i'm sorry," you said coldly. "i'm not interested. let me go, i have to get rest for work tomorrow."

"but you have no work assignments," al haitham corrected you. "what could you possibly be doing tomorrow?"

"the grand sage requested my help in a matter," you said, trying to remain true without spilling more details. "that matter is private. so, i'll be leaving."

you pushed his hand off of the door, hastily leaving his house and closing the door behind you. al haitham sighed deeply, running a hand through his grey locks as he returned to the kitchen table, drooping into his seat.

rather than return home, you decided to go back into the lab to continue to work. scaramouche was still strapped inside when you returned. it was part of adapting to the power from the gnosis, and he was enjoying every second of it.

"oh, i didn't expect to see you here," scaramouche mused. "eager to continue working, are we?"

you didn't say a word, finding the tools that you needed to continue working on another cable that you'd plug into his back tomorrow. tears filled your vision slightly, hands continuing to work while your mind was a battlefield. here you were, wanting so desperately to join al haitham and save your god, but you couldn't risk losing so much. after all, your whole life was spent trying to pursue a field that was looked down upon, seen as being unnecessary and unpredictable. that was when you were recognized by the grand sage, and made his personal engineer, and roped into the god making plan.

during your time working relentlessly was when you received your vision, shining brightly as a token of encouragement to keep pushing through your struggles. it warmed your heart, and with that determination, helped you create your first ever robot that continues to live today inside of your house.

"hey, i'm talking to you," scaramouche yelled. "your god is speaking to you."

"if you'd be so kind as to let me work," you spat back, not turning your back. "we can finish this faster."

he didn't reply, making you tense your muscles waiting for any sort of impact. but, it never came. all you heard was steam being dispensed, then a pair of feet hitting the ground and walking towards you.

"i see that you're quite upset."

your eyes widened in shock slightly, hearing the change in his voice. it wasn't arrogant or demanding as it always was, but strangely human considering he was a puppet.

"how could you tell," you mumbled, loud enough for him to hear. "ah, sorry for my rudeness. i shouldn't be talking."

"i'm glad you know your limits," he mused. "however, i recognize you as someone of... importance. yes, importance. you're imperative to this plan's success."

"i'm grateful you hold me to such high standards," you mindfully said, tinkering with the parts. "however, the plan is nowhere near done."

"yes, that is a setback. the faster i achieve godhood, the faster i can reclaim what is rightfully mine."

"i'll do my best then," you said, poker face on. "however, i do question your methods."

"excuse me?"

"if i may be allowed the privilege, i would like to tell you why."

"go on."

you were slightly taken aback by his answer, however that meant that you might offend him. therefore, you cherry picked your words and used them very carefully so as to not upset him more than you might. "i believe that displacing a god already who has been rendered incapable of ruling her own country is a cruel method."

"which is why they need a replacement," scaramouche retorted, crossing his arms and leaning against the workbench that you were using to see your face. "she's incapable of her duties as an archon."

"however my lord, she's been locked away by the sages. i don't see how someone can function as an archon when they cannot even leave the imprisonment of the sages."

"if she really was as powerful, she could easily break out herself."

"i just wonder," you hummed, looking up at the manufactured ceiling. "if she were ruling sumeru, would there even be a need to replace her?"