15. The Royal Seamstress

(iM SORRY GUYS WRITERS BLOCK IS REAL T-T)

Amar moved towards the woman, but she put her hand out as if to block him.

"We meant for you to take over the throne, not sully us."

Amar hesitated before speaking. "I would not dare dully you, or Anastacius. But-"

"But what, hm?" Esta grew more weary by the second.

"Is it not better if we do it this way? I am still planning to take over, mind you. Just listen. You know the saying, keep your friends close, but your enemies closer?"

Esta nodded, rethinking her thoughts about the boy in-front of her.

"Well, I plan to do exactly that. I am not disregarding you or my uncle, im just doing things... the better way."

Esta sighed. "Alright, little boy. We'll trust you, for now. But, Claude needs to be dethroned as soon as possible, you hear me?"

"Yes ma'am." Amar mocked salute, grinning as Esta climbed out of the window.

He waited a couple more minutes before leaving the bathroom. Peace and quiet was rare these past few days, and he wanted to enjoy what was a fleeting moment in this sparse lifetime.

Not surprisingly, Isidore was still waiting outside. He looked annoyed. "What took you so long?" The guard asked.

Amar ignored him. It was as if Isidore knew something was going on in the bathroom, and it wasn't... using the bathroom.

Once on bed, Amar contemplated on what to do next. There was what he was there to do, of course, but he couldn't do something so big without a plan. How would... one take over the throne? It was the little details that count. The little details that Anastacius did not explain. Well then.

First, he would have to prove he was better than Jennette. He didn't know whether she would stay as heir now that the elder prince was back, but he didn't want to test his luck. Nonetheless, Amar was always good at academics, so that area was covered. But then there was swordsmanship. Even Jennette was better than him at that. It was one of his disadvantages. He definitely needed a teacher, now that he would soon be reinstated as prince.

Oh, wait. That means that Jennette would hold a ball for him. It wasn't uncommon to hold balls for every little thing, since Jennette wanted to be seen as gracious and easygoing, a saint, in a kind of sense. Perhaps he would win the heart of nobles there, so that they would proclaim their loyalty to him? Amar had no charisma, but it was certainly worth a try.

If there was one other person Amar was friends with in the past, it was the royal seamstress, Ellowen. She was similar to Amar in age, and was his only companion before Athanasia was born. Ever since Amar was 10, though, Claude stopped their friendship in hopes that Amar would focus more on his royal duties.

Perhaps it was time to reignite this friendship. Amar certainly did miss the girl, and she would be helpful for many reasons. Back when Amar was a kid, they would find each other twice a week, in the forgotten treehouse. It was near her living quarters, so she would certainly see him in no time.

The annoying guard would actually follow Amar everywhere he went. Oh well, Amar just had to learn how to ignore him. The female quarters of the palace was near were Amar was originally supposed to sleep when he was in disguise, so he still remembered the way. After but 10 minutes of walking, they arrived.

There was a little treehouse in a small garden. Amar and Ellowen had made it when they were kids, and it seemed the seamstress had still kept it in good condition.

Isidore climbed up first, to check if there was anything needing to scrap. Fortunately, there was nothing, and Amar climbed up soon after, his legs dangling out of the entrance.

They watched as the servants moved from place to place. No one really noticed them, too busy enveloped with their work. And soon, Ellowen appeared, the finest fabrics in hand.

He called after her, but she did not hear. He had to leave this small space.

Amar jumped down, short on breath, tripping on the floor. It hurt, but at-least Ellowen noticed. She had changed since they were last ten, her red hair more voluminous and blue eyes deeper with knowledge. He thought she was also taller than him as-well. Agh, how disappointing. Height was a common debate between the two when they were kids, and now it seemed like Ellowen had won.

The seamstress plopped the fabrics on the ground and ran to help, and oh, imagine her surprise when it was her old friend/exiled prince!

"Amar..?" Ellowen gasped, enveloping the prince in a hug. "It's you?"

"Indeed."

Amar smiled, a genuine smile. The most genuine smile of them all.

(Hello! To be clear, she is not a love interest, none of the characters are so far. But that could change at any moment!)